TechSpot

What should I get?

By eclipse245
May 1, 2009
  1. Hey guys,

I'm on a $300 budget.

I'm waiting for ArmA 2 to come out, and I currently play Flight Simulator X.

Now, I am planning to upgrade.

I currently own the AMD Athlon X2 6400+ at 3.2GHz. And the eVGA 8800GT 512MB.

I need to know whether or not, I should just upgrade the CPU to this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471

OR

Get a new Graphics card?

Which will give me better performance?

Thanks!

2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

Honestly you should be getting good performance already, the 6400+ is a decent CPU, and the 8800 is a great graphics card too.
    I will tell you to look up your graphics settings, turn off anti aliasing (aa) and or turn down resolution.

3. eclipse245

eclipse245 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

Looks so bad with low res though.

4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Flight simX is a very Cpu heavy program, i have no idea why its written that way, but it is. so a better cpu will probably help with that game.

5. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

Flight sim optimizes all cores, very cpu heavy. Havnt played it so I'll keep my suggestions to myself for now...although I'm leaning towards a cpu.

6. eclipse245

Yeh, and on the ArmA 2 forums, they reccommend a Quad, and I want to play that game with High Graphics baby. So...I guess the CPU is good choice?

Do you guys know of ANY place where I can get it a few bucks cheaper, or should I stick with the 940 or just go with the 920?

7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

The 920 can be had for $170 or so here.

Also, unless FSX and ArmA 2 will be the only games you will play, getting a more powerful video card is the way to go.

8. eclipse245

Well the 8800, is said to work great with ArmA 2, so I think, I might just get a new CPU.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but my mobo is AM2, and the Phenom is AM2+, however I read somewhere that my mobo is compatible with both, this is the mobo I have:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe

Can somebody double check that for me? ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

9. hellokitty[hk]

I do not think your motherboard is compatible with the newer CPU's, sadly.

10. eclipse245

11. hellokitty[hk]

Oh sorry, I couldn't even find it on ASUS's website, and the board is pretty old, so I assumed it wouldn't work out, especially with AM2 and AM2+ socket differences.

12. eclipse245

Well the differences aren't big really.

13. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.