TechSpot

What should i look for in a better cpu?

By fgfg9
Apr 1, 2008
  1. ok im really confused when i go browsing for CPUs my eyes are imeditaelly attracted to faster processing speeds but with quad cores and duos there are
    1.8GHZ speed processers that cost 200-300 Dollars but then I can get a single core running at 2.8GHZ for about 50 Dollars. Not to mention 1mb Caches and stuff so any informaition to clear this up would be great Thanks alot!

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,268   +92

Have two or more cores is essentially having two (or more) processors on the same die.

Cache plays a very significant role in today's computing. CPU cache in particular is very important. The L1 and L2 cache today are both integrated in the CPU, and they both operate at the same core speed of the CPU. Basically, the cache controller will logically occupy the L1 and L2 with data you are most likely to access. I believe modern CPU manufacturers claim to have around a 90% hit ratio (the data you're requesting is in the CPU's cache). If there is a cache miss the CPU will resort to your RAM, which, is significantly slower than the core frequency of your CPU.

The overall frequency that a CPU runs at is going to vary between architecture. You cannot judge a CPU by it's clock frequency unless you're comparing CPU's in the same family. Otherwise, hunt down a benchmark for an accurate comparison.

What motherboard and RAM do you have and what is your budget?

3. fgfg9

fgfg9 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ram: 2X Ultra 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz
    Motherboard: ECS 945GCT-M
    I think around 50$-100$ would be nice but not too likely
    Thanks for helping!

4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,268   +92

:) Err, and what CPU?

The E6600 is probably about the best your going to do with that motherboard. However, it's not $50-$100 and that is not a reasonable budget, no :).

5. fgfg9

fgfg9 TS Rookie Topic Starter

lol thanks got some saving to do!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.