TechSpot

What's the difference between PCI Express x1 and PCI Express x16

By Dembtist
Dec 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I'm asking this question because I have been looking forward to buy a new graphics card, I'm a new ,and I don't even know if you can connect a graphics card to a PCI, instead of the AGP slot? thanks!

2. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

you can use regular pci but agp is faster and x16 is the fastest bar none

3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,869   +697

This the board in question ? (Going by your system specs.....not sure what the "199GB RAM" is all about)

If so, then look for a PCI-E (PCI Express) graphics card.

4. Dembtist

Dembtist TS Rookie Topic Starter

Um, yes, I do not know if I have a agp, but your saying that you can connect a graphics card to a PCI E. also, would it be better if I connected it to a PCI E X 16? thanks!...and really good job finding my mother board...XD

5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,869   +697

Yes, PCIe x16 is the default slot for a graphics card.

Some older motherboards can have compatibility problems with cards that use the newer v2.0 / v2.1 PCI-E specification. It isn't common but can happen. If the card you are replacing is v2.0/2.1 then you'll be fine. A quick search hasn't turned up any compatibility problems, and most reviews pre-date v2.0.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.