TechSpot

What's the real meaning of +12V1 and +12V2?

By Tranq
May 4, 2005
  1. I'm currently on an Antec True550 for ATX12V with a 20 pin motherboard connector...i also have a pci-ex graphics card and a 24 pin motherboard so im using multiple adapters which im not very comfortable with...i want to buy the new antec 2.0 truepower 550 watt...it's perfect for me but 19A on +12V1 and +12V2...? what is the meaning of these two rails? what should i consider this to be...i mean 19 amps seems horrible...but im sure there's something im missing...please explain how these two rails work...should i consider this to be 38A???

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

That IS a 38A PSU.
    The reason they split the +12v, is to supply a stable and steady amount of power to the CPU and perhaps some other vital components via one rail, and have a second rail for equipment such as harddisks, CD/DVD, where the powerdemand is not always the same, and could perhaups cause 'flutters'.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.