What's with Opera force start/cancel crud?

learninmypc

I can understand getting a reminder, your browser hasn't shut down fully (or words to that effect) with in seconds of shuting it down, but hours later??? Come on:mad:
I'll be surfing in Opera for a while & then X out & go to SeaMonkey and/or FF for a few hours, then I'll go back to Opera & get that box telling me I can "force start it or cancel it" because Opera hasn't shut dowm. So I'd like to know how many hours am I supposed to wait for Opera to shut down?? If it wasn't for this thread, I'd of dumped Opera by now.
If the fix requires messin' with the registry, I guess I'll end up rebooting everytime I want to use Opera.
Yes, my browsers are all up to date & so is my XP Pro pc.TIA:)

My Opera doesn't behave like that. Past versions occasionally did have problem with shutting down properly, but it's been fixed in latest versions. There's clearly something wrong with your Opera.

As a first step, re-install Opera 12.02 (current version). For convenience, first re-install over the existing one without uninstalling it first. If that doesn't solve the problem, backup your bookmarks (or entire profile), uninstall the present Opera and then re-install.

At any rate, you don't have to reboot. You can use the Task Manager to easily force Opera to shut down. But it shouldn't be necessary.

Or of course, you can also stop using Opera till a new version comes out and try that.

My Opera doesn't behave like that. Past versions occasionally did have problem with shutting down properly, but it's been fixed in latest versions. There's clearly something wrong with your Opera.

As a first step, re-install Opera 12.02 (current version). For convenience, first re-install over the existing one without uninstalling it first. If that doesn't solve the problem, backup your bookmarks (or entire profile), uninstall the present Opera and then re-install.

At any rate, you don't have to reboot. You can use the Task Manager to easily force Opera to shut down. But it shouldn't be necessary.

Or of course, you can also stop using Opera till a new version comes out and try that.
I've just reinstalled it over the existing one & will hope its fixed.
I have used Task Manager a few times, I'll hope its fixed now, thank you bobcat:)

My above reply was done using Opera AFTER reinstalling it. Obviously it didn't work because this fORCE START.JPGpopped up. I'm not concerned about losing my bookmarks,because they can be imported again, but other than the force starts, I hate the ads I still see.
This one Slide out ad.JPG (or similiar) slides out on too many websites. Why can't opera have Adblock like FF or SeaMonkey? I'll put up with it for now,but....

Yea- DISABLE all add-ons & Extension and test - - bet it runs / quits as expected

Ok, everything , addon's & plug ins have been disabled. The results won't happen overnight, so I'll post back when I find the culprit, thanks.:)

For a thorough job, first do a scan for spy- & ad-ware (not just anti-virus), using e.g. MBAM, Spybot S&D etc.

If you still have problems, then go into the second step I described before, namely fully uninstall Opera using Revo uninstaller and scan for any leftovers. Then reboot and install the current version.

Don’t add anything to it at this stage. Standard Opera comes complete with ad-blocker and download manager. Only consider additional ad-blocking at a later stage, but you should be able to live without it.

Bear in mind that add-ons, plug-ins etc slow down a browser and can cause stability, security and other problems. Furthermore, they may not be (fully) compatible with subsequent versions and such problems may arise later, even if not present now.

For a thorough job, first do a scan for spy- & ad-ware (not just anti-virus), using e.g. MBAM, Spybot S&D etc.

If you still have problems, then go into the second step I described before, namely fully uninstall Opera using Revo uninstaller and scan for any leftovers. Then reboot and install the current version.

Don’t add anything to it at this stage. Standard Opera comes complete with ad-blocker and download manager. Only consider additional ad-blocking at a later stage, but you should be able to live without it.

Bear in mind that add-ons, plug-ins etc slow down a browser and can cause stability, security and other problems. Furthermore, they may not be (fully) compatible with subsequent versions and such problems may arise later, even if not present now.
bobcat, I run my scans weekly & the last scans came up clean, nothing found.
I've tried the download manager that comes with Opera & have not been able to get it to work.
I did find out they now have an adblocker https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/adblockforopera/?display=en
I installed it & don't see that slide out ad I've seen nor do I see any of the other annoying ads.
At this point, I've only reenabled my WOT & my email notifier addon & my flash plug in & everything has been fine.:)

Standard Opera comes complete with ad-blocker and download manager. Only consider additional ad-blocking at a later stage, but you should be able to live without it..

bobcat or whomever, if somebody can tell me (or give me a tutorial) how to download videos with the download manager, I'll give it a try. As it is now, if I come across a video I want to download, I copy the url & paste in it SeaMonkey or FF to download it. TIA:)
I might add I did send someone at Opera (or maybe the download manager manufacturer) an email. I did get a reply asking for a link, but still no answer.

Personally, I never understood why people think a download manager is necessary or desireable - - the browser(s) are fully capable as-is and even support parallel downloads. A DLM would be a great place to track and monitor your activity.

Normally, the right-click on a link will show a context menu which includes Save Link As
If the link is a webpage, you get the page content, if it is a url to the resource itself (JPG, MP3, AAC) then you're saving the object you were after.

So you're telling me if I find a video at youtube I want to watch later, I can right click the link,left click Save Link As & save it to in a folder & can watch it later? I've never tried that, but will now, thanks.

FLASH is a special problem, as it must be wrapped in a mess of html tags to make it play.

If you save the page (web page complete) that contains the flash, then it will be playable.

BTW, I still have this issue to. I was confronted by a force start of Opera a few moments ago. I hardly pay it any attention though, simple press of the force restart and you are free to go.

@jobeard,ok.
@cliffordcooley, yes, correct, but if that happens a few times a day, I'd bet you'd get annoyed very quickly.
I've only re enabled a few plug ins & so far its behaving its self, but still early.:)

Everything was going fine till I too just had a Forced start so I'm going to completely uninstall Opera with revo later & either do a new install on the next update or go to another browser. Thanks all.:)

I did completely remove Opera, but instead of re installing it, I'm using Opera Portable .:)Thanks for your help(y)

Back