Where does my speed go?

By Gflo
Jun 3, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My internet has been extremely slow lately. i live in north Georgia(2 hrs from Atlanta) and have bell south fast access DSL Xtreme 6.0 which is supposed to be 6 mbps. i generally get around 3.5 mbps per my DSL modem. but i ran a speed test(speedtest.net) and i am only getting 688kbps downstream and 55kbps upstream.
    I checked my modem after running the test and it says im getting,

Downstream Rate
    3658 (Kbits/Sec)

Upstream Rate
    508 (Kbits/Sec)

I copied that right from the modems page.

I could understand losing maybe(or bellsouth lying a bit) 100-200 kbps but over 2000?

any idea where that 2000kbps went or should i just call bellsouth and have them explain it to me?

Thx in advance.

(Also i ran these tests at 3 am)
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Actually I'd like to know their explanation, seeming your paying for higher speed
  3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +32

Good luck! I've been battling Bright House Networks which administers Roadrunner n my area because I've never gotten the speeds I'm paying for. In my mind there is doubt about some speed test. The ONLY speed test that comes anywhere to close to but not at the 10MB I was suppose to have was speed test for this area. But when I use other speed test out of the same server, it's way off!

They have no explanation. I think the tests are fixed. I'm now supposed to be at 15Mbps and still haven't shown 10! What a racket!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.