Which 9800GTX graphics card should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch04

Hi just wondering which card I should get there is a fair bit Im thinking about Inno3D GeForce 9800GTX 512M PCI-E 2.0 DDR3 675/2200MHz Dual Dual-Link DVI HDTV Fan HDCP, I Have a 8600GT on my 22inch lcd and just cant really run the games on high with this resolution anymore. So would you reckon i will see alot off difference with this one. I play company of heroes and would like to see crysis I have the game and ran it I had to have everything on down for no lag? Would this graphics card do all high?
thanks

It will make a large difference in any game you play. But Crysis you might be able to get away with High settings. Very High settings and smooth performance is only possible with the 9800GX2.
Nevertheless, it will be a major upgrade from the 8600GT, so go for it.

ok thank you very much. the Inno3D GeForce 9800GTX have you heard it before? is it any good that brand?

Mitch, Ive got an EVGA 9800GTX, and one thing you need to seriously look at, is the space you have for the card to fit in. I have a full tower case, and the thought never passed through my mind, even though I've read many times about how big this card is. It almost didn't fit, if it was a 16th of an inch longer, it would be back in the box right now.

Also, you probably want to look at you your power supply, might need to upgrade.

hey mate thanks for that I have checked and I really dont know how think the card is or anything because doesn't the graphics card go down so the fan is aiming down that what my 8600GT looks like? because I got plenty of room there.

That isn't the problem, the length of the card is, from the back panel to where your hard drives typically go. Its possible your case isn't large enough to hold it.

If I were you I would definitely not get the 9800GTX unless you absolutely have to get a powerful card now. The HD4850 and HD4870 are set to come out next month. The HD4850 is meant to be priced at around $190-$230 and be around 25% faster than 8800GT or more powerful than 9800GTX. The HD4870 will be around 15%+ faster than 9800GTX but at a higher price than HD4850 (I think around $300).

nVidia too are meant to be releasing their next gen GPU's next month also (I think just before or around the same time ATI releases theirs) and someone has mentioned that the GTX 280 which will be nVidia's most powerful GPU release scored twice as high as the 9800GX2 in Vantage (benchmarking program) and is capable of handling Crysis at max settings with some AA and AF at 1900x1200. But due to its transistor count and 65nm process its going to be very expensive to manufacture so around $600US+ I'm presuming.

I'm already saving my money up for either HD4870 or GTX 280 (I'm hoping for GTX 280 but if its to expensive I'll settle for HD4870)

ok I had a look and I dont think its going to fit I gotta move my hard drive somewhere and I think I need a better power supply. how much money you reckon I will get for just my destop? whith the specs I got because mabe I should just build a new one?
tthanks

mitch04 said:
ok I had a look and I dont think its going to fit I gotta move my hard drive somewhere and I think I need a better power supply. how much money you reckon I will get for just my destop? whith the specs I got because mabe I should just build a new one?
tthanks
Ahh judging by your specs in your sig that power supply won't cut it if you decided to get the 9800GTX.

What case have you got because I would highly recommend a CoolerMaster CM690 for its excellent cooling performance and its low price. There are other cases that are good and also have good value if you wish to look around. The CoolerMaster CM690 is a mid-tower case which is more than enough for your needs.

As for power supplies do have a good look at the Corsair HX520 and HX620, they are excellent power supplies and rate up their with the high performance ones with a much better price tag. They are also modular so you won't have cords hanging everywhere.

If you plan on building a new PC do tell us of your price range as we will be able to help you build a nice gaming PC at the lowest possible price;)

ok this is what I have decided Im going to sell my destop on ebay see how that goes. now people I need some help here Im prepare to pay $1000
Now Im thinking I should just buy everything on umart.com.au remember I have a 22inch LCD and want to play crysis pritty good. I had a look and there some desktops on ebay for $1200 with quad dual and all that what would you do?
And what should I go with AMD or Intel?
thanks

mitch04 said:
ok this is what I have decided Im going to sell my destop on ebay see how that goes. now people I need some help here Im prepare to pay $1000
Now Im thinking I should just buy everything on umart.com.au remember I have a 22inch LCD and want to play crysis pritty good. I had a look and there some desktops on ebay for $1200 with quad dual and all that what would you do?
And what should I go with AMD or Intel?
thanks
Wait, your Australian? In this case, do you plan on buying your PC online? because I would recommend http://www.itsdirect.com.au/ to purchase your PC. And make sure its custom built as pre-made PC's are generally pretty crap.

CoolerMaster CM690 Case (NO Power Supply Unit $103.40

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz Socket 775 CPU $259.40
OR
Intel Core 2 Quad Core CPU Q6600 2.4Ghz (1066FSB, 2x4mb Cache G0 CHIP $256.50

ABIT IP35-PRO Intel P35 Chipset Socket 775 Motherboard $182.60

2x Corsair 2GB (2x 1GB) DDR2 800 XMS (PC6400 - TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX) $181.90

Corsair HX-620 620W Power Supply Unit
$162.10

Innovision nVidia Geforce 8800GT 512mb PCI Express Graphics Card $220.00

Total: $1109.40

You'll also have to pay for shipping which will probably be less than $60 on top of that. But this will allow you to play Crysis decently.

Also I have excluded a mouse, keyboard and speakers/headphones cause I assume you already have some.

ok mate what about the hard drive? thanks alot for this. And I was thinking mabe I should get the 9800GTX. And could you please tell me on this http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4 what case should I get the power supply

What You say about this?

DDR2 4G PC-6400 800Mhz DDR2 Dual Channel(2x2G) GeiL 5-5-5-15 $156.00
Western Digital 500G SATAII 7200 rpm HDD(16Mb Cache) $98
Inno3D GeForce 9800GTX 512M PCI-E 2.0 DDR3 675/2200MHz Dual Dual- Link DVI HDTV Fan HDCP $350.00
ABIT IP35-PRO Intel P35 Chipset Socket 775 M/board $180.00
Intel CORE 2 Q6600/2.4Ghz/2x4MB/1066FSB/LGA77 $246.00
LG DVD20X+- DUAL LAYER DVD Rewriter with Software(GH55NBB) Beige $31

Cheaper & I always use it. SO what You reckon about that? I just need a case and power supply.
ok This is it:
DDR2 4G PC-6400 800Mhz DDR2 Dual Channel(2x2G) GeiL 5-5-5-15 $156.00
Western Digital 500G SATAII 7200 rpm HDD(16Mb Cache) $98
Inno3D GeForce 9800GTX 512M PCI-E 2.0 DDR3 675/2200MHz Dual Dual-Link DVI HDTV Fan HDCP $350.00
ABIT IP35-PRO Intel P35 Chipset Socket 775 M/board $180.00
Intel CORE 2 Q6600/2.4Ghz/2x4MB/1066FSB/LGA77 $246.00
LG DVD20X+- DUAL LAYER DVD Rewriter with Software(GH55NBB) Beige $31

Thermaltake Soprano DX Steel with Window Black NO Power Supply $166
Powersupply Antec ATX EarthWatts 650W $128.00

Now I had a look on ebay and say all of that http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-release-...yZ147133QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
the only thing is the motherboard not an SLI.
need some help here please?

Do you really need the IP35 Pro? I think the GA-P35-DS3L will be quite enough, unless you need SLI. For that, I recommend the MSI P7N SLI.
Also, I recommend going with the E8400 over the Q6600. It will be faster, run cooler, draw less power and will OC better as well.

Also change the power supply to a Corsair HX620. If your gonna buy a high end system then you'll need the reliability of a good power supply. The Corsair HX620 is highly rated PSU and is more than enough for your system.

Ok I think Im gonna stay with the SLI. But are you serious with the power supply then i will be like paying $1200.
What about the Power Supply CoolerMaster Real 650W Extreme SLI Ready That ok?

Exactly, infact I almost recommend the Corsair HX520 over the HX620. But because the price difference is only like $30 you can't go wrong with the latter. It will also be more futureproof as when you next upgrade your PC it will need more power to run.

hm.. fake I dont know I was going for around $1000 now look what I have done.lol The Power Supply CoolerMaster Real 650W Extreme Should be alright becasue it says SLI Extreme for $96. Ok? alright please say something good about that. and the case I got is Thermaltake Soprano DX Steel with Window Black NO Power Supply Looks pritty cool.
thanks

hm.. fake I dont know I was going for around $1000 now look what I have done.lol The Power Supply CoolerMaster Real 650W Extreme Should be alright becasue it says SLI Extreme for $96. Ok? alright please say something good about that. and the case I got is Thermaltake Soprano DX Steel with Window Black NO Power Supply Looks pritty cool & Can You please tell me about the ram? Is that very slow? cause been talking to some people mabe I should get better ram?
thanks

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
I'm just adding links to some of my recommendations. I recommend not buying from one store since it'll negatively affect your budget. IMO, don't bother with the PSU for now, since one 9800GTX is powerful enough. You can upgrade it later when you decide to add another 9800GTX.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)
I don't know how it is in your country but in Australia you have to pay for shipping for the products you buy. When you buy in bulk the shipping is cheaper. Shipping in Australia is a lot more expensive than say in the US so its much better to buy in bulk from a single retail unless you can find another site that offers a much better deal (or a special deal). So he's better to buy from just a single site and in bulk as shipping is cheaper. Which is the reason I suggested itsdirect.com. It may not be the cheapest computer site in Australia but its cheaper than most and its usually shipped within one day but there are rare occasions where it can take up to a week.

Thats another thing too. Buying from multiple sites you don't know how long shipping will take and trying to get into contact with multiple sites can be a pain.

But if he can get the products AND shipping cheaper from multiple sites than I say go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back