Which of these fans is the loudest?

joe gray

Hi all,

Looking to make my system a bit quieter, could you tell me what fans would be the loudest out of these?

ATI HD 4870 1GB PowerColor
AMD PHENOM II X4 955 @ 3.4ghz STOCK COOLING
ANTEC TRUEPOWER 550watt PSU

also im looking to upgrade my GFX card to a:

MSI HD 7850 2GB TWINFROZR II

I hear it should be quieter and cooler than my current one, any opinions?

Thanks

Install the program called 'SpeedFan' and report back here with a screenshot showing temps and fan RPM.

As above, even at idle it's probably the GPU. At load, hell yes GPU. :D

Your video card would be the loudest, but you need that extra speed when playing or you could lower the life of it.

Here you go, for some reason im not getting a fan speed for my gpu, any reason?

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 12
20 degree HDDs??????? Is ambient temperature 10 degrees?? :D

Try downloading MSI Afterburner for your GPU. You can play with the fan settings there. Set it to a higher speed and see if the noise is the same as what you're hearing.

God knows but my CPU usually idles at like 45 so thats not brilliant either, on the bright side it never goes above 65

Also with MSI Afterburner and AMD Control Center I get 0% for both my fan activities, it doesnt seem to recognise my card has one!

I would say go for a 7870 if you are upgrading instead of a 7850. For like 40 bucks more you can get better performance.

For $400 bucks more you can also get better performance.
7850 is a solid choice as is the 7870 spend whatever you'd like.

Consider an nVidia GPU if you can afford it - they have a much lower TDP than comparable ATI cards, and thus require less fan speed to cool. Also, most cards with 2 or 3 large fans and an open heatpipe design run cooler and quieter than the same GPU with a single squirrel cage fan.

Back