Which OS? Older laptop

By Modena
Apr 2, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all I was wondering which OS would be the best choice for my parents system. I installed XP pro on they're system but within a few months it was extremely bogged down even with constant updates and all the recommended programs.(CCleaner,Avira,Malwarebytes,etc) Any advice appreciated.

System Specs
    Dell Inspiron 1200
    Intel Celeron M @1.4ghz
    512mb DDR SDRAM @ 333mhz
    40gb HD
  2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

That system is perfect for XP, just install the service packs, anti-virus and spyware protection then be done with it. Every OS gets bogged down eventually, but there are ways to speed it back up. You could always throw Ubuntu Linux on it if your folks don't use too many Windows applications...
  3. Modena

Modena TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 182

True, I guess they're just gonna have to take care of they're damn system better xp is where its at, thx for the advice.
  4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,711

You could always try Linux?
  5. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 Newcomer, in training Posts: 563

I agree with ExCellR8 ... XP is the right OS. If you'd really like to get it a little speedier, you could always add another chip of 512mb RAM?

Spyder_1386 :)
  6. Modena

Modena TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 182

Yeah I'm gonna stick with Xp for they're system. A fresh install of Xp and more RAM should work fine for them, all they do is use IE and excel. Thx for the responses.
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,420   +281

2000 Professional would work fine too. The only real problem with it is you wouldn't have a built in firewall like you do in XP SP2+.

You are probably better off with XP just because you likely know it better than 2k, but 2k gets no love around here and it deserves some.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.