Which SSD to go with

death791

Now I know there are a ton of posts on these drives and also reviews all over the internet but I'm really looking for people that may have used these drives in their machines on a daily basis, and overall what they really think of them. By the way I am currently on a PC that is still using a IDE hard drive so moving up to a SSD is going to be a huge step up so the drives listed below are basically whats in my budget. I'm not really looking for the latest and greatest, and this drive will be going in a new rig I'm currently building.

OCZ Agility 3 240gb SSD
Corsair Force Series 3 240gb
SanDisk Extreme 240 gb
Crucial M4 256gb

Now all the drives besides the Crucial M4 use the SandForce Controller on them and looking at a lot of posts on tech spot forums I see the SandForce Controller drives don't get the best rep, So should I stay away from them drives or have they been improved from the past? all opinions and suggestion are welcome, I plan on picking up one of theses drive sometime next week so just need a little help on whats the best bang for the buck. thanks again!

I spoke to a sales guy at scan computers about a month ago, The only drive he reccomended was intel, Due to store returns and drive failure issues with other brands.

Other than that I think they all benchmark around the same.

If you could somehow find it in your budget. I would recommend any of the SSD's apart of the Samsung 830 series. They are reliable and quick. No firmware problems what so ever. I own one and never had a hiccup at all.

Get the Samsung 830, it's pretty much the same price as all the other drives. Unlike other SSD makers Samsung make ALL of the components inside their SSDs themselves (controller, NAND, etc.). You could go with Intel for the guaranteed reliability but they come at a bit of a premium (which is not justified IMO). Crucial is another good option, there were some early problems with their firmware but they've all been fixed now.

Given the amount of choice out there I'd avoid any OCZ or Sandforce drives (excluding Intel) or even worse, an OCZ Sandforce drive. Google "OCZ Vertex 3 failure" and you'll see what I mean.

Back