Which Version of DX Is Used When Gaming On Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritwik7

Hi everybody!

I plan to install Windows 7 within a week on my PC. I play games such as Crysis, Mirror's Edge, Call Of Duty Modern Warfare, etc. Will the games by default use DX10 after installation? Do I have to select any special modes?

Also, I know that Win 7 comes with DX11. Do I need to install DX10 or DX9 on it?

Really stupid questions I guess. Awaiting your responses.

Thanks.

No, it should be backward compatible. But, Dx-9 and Dx-10 programs won't suddenly become Dx-11 either.

Thanks there Captain.

Just wondering, some games seem to have have to "game".exe icons. One for DX10 and one for DX9 when I install them in XP. For example, Assassin's Creed and Devil May Cry 4. But others don't. So will the default operation be DX10 on Win 7?

Thanks there Captain.

Just wondering, some games seem to have have to "game".exe icons. One for DX10 and one for DX9 when I install them in XP. For example, Assassin's Creed and Devil May Cry 4. But others don't. So will the default operation be DX10 on Win 7?
I guessing that that games have coding to match the DX version of their date of release. Games that you mention were written at the time between XP and Vista, so their coding allows them to run correctly under either OS. It does seem a bit superfluous to allow or permit user intervention, when the game really should be sensing the OS and adjusting. But, I can't write code, so it's easy for me to criticize or speculate.

You can probably load the latest DX- you should be able to force an earlier version in the ATI Control Panel in games that don't normally support it, also disabling Full Dynamic Lighting in games usually drops the DirectX used back to 9.0c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back