Which wireless router should I buy?

By DavidOrcus
Mar 4, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tech Spot seems to be a good place to get advice...

I am looking to buy a new router and I have done some reviewing myself but would like to get some suggestions from anyone who has had good hands on experience with newer models.

The last router I bought was in 2006 or 2007 can't recall now and still is my Current Model "Linksys WRT54GX-UK Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX Technology" with the latest firmware V2.

I currently use following devices on my network.

2 Desktops PC'S Wired (both running XP Pro SP3)
    1 Dlink Print Server
    1 Wireless Laptop (XP Pro SP3)
    PS3 Slim connects wirelessly (Get's 8Mb download 0.5Mb upload)
    Nintendo DS wirelessly

Main reason I won't to upgrade is for a Gigabyte connection for my network as both the network cards are capability of this. People may say it won't make much difference but I would just like it.

Things to take into consideration:

I will be upgrading\replacing one of the desktops with Win7 Pro Desktop.
    I will be upgrading\replacing the laptop with a Sony Vaios laptop with Win7 Pro.

Any suggestions...?

Thank you, Kind regards
    David
  2. killerjedininja

killerjedininja Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

I am using a D-Link DIR-628 wireless router. It is very nice and can handle over five wireless devices(that's the most I have tried at once, might be more) along with 4 or 5 available wired ethernet ports. With my home comp and Wii(wireless) and 360(wireless) and 3 wireless laptops connected, they all get as high a speed as with just one connected, which is really fast.

The speed will primarily be based on your ISP so if you have a crappy connection anyway, a router won't help you at all.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,423   +281

I really think you get what you pay for in routers. I tried to 'cheat' the system and get a cheap Wireless N router without gigabit lan since most of my big transfers were going to happen wirelessly (streaming hd movies over wireless to my Mac Mini connected to HDTV). I found out that the router crapped out fairly regularly if there were new wireless connections (coming home and reconnecting a netbook or laptop).

So I finally bit the bullet and bought a Linksys WRT-320N and I'm very pleased with it, I run torrents continously on it, and have had 6 wireless connections and 2 wired connections working at once with no issues at all. Only problem was its a bit pricey, think I paid $109 or $119 for it. There is another one I didn't see at the time that is 1 step up from mine that will do dual band at the same time, I don't know too much about that, but I think that might be good for you if you want to have the DS connected because I think that is 802.11b only right?
  4. DavidOrcus

DavidOrcus Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 33

thanks

Hello I would just like to say thanks for your suggestions and thoughts.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.