While surfing the web, iPad went black

learninmypc

Battery level was at about 37% when I was checking on something online when suddenly my iPad screen went black for probably 30 seconds & then the apple icon showed up but still black, shortly after that the desktop appeared & its been fine since.
Thinking it was due to low battery, It's been recharging sine. Am just curious if my assumption is correct or ??? :)

It just crashed.. Essentially the same as a BSOD on Windows. If it keeps happening then its worth exploring more, I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

@SNGX1275 , it has happened again. I was watching the local news when I went to check my email & as I started reading it, the screen went black except the apple icon & moments later it returned to the desktop.
I just now backed it up so what might you suggest?

If you're using the default browser, Safari, have you tried a different one? Chrome is available for iPad, no Firefox yet, but Mozilla is working on it.

On my Android phone, there were times when one specific site would crash one browser, but worked fine w/ a different one.

@SNGX1275 , it has happened again. I was watching the local news when I went to check my email & as I started reading it, the screen went black except the apple icon & moments later it returned to the desktop.
I just now backed it up so what might you suggest?
That is still a 'ok' frequency if it lasts 2 weeks between an app crash. Its not ideal either of course.

Do you ever completely close an app? This can be done by double pressing the 'home' button. It will bring up everything that is opened at the bottom of the screen. Touch and hold on one you want to close, and they will all shake and have a red minus sign on them, touch to close. When you've closed everything you don't want open, single press the home button again.

If you're using the default browser, Safari, have you tried a different one? Chrome is available for iPad, no Firefox yet, but Mozilla is working on it.

On my Android phone, there were times when one specific site would crash one browser, but worked fine w/ a different one.
Yes, I do have & use Chrome & I think I was using it at the time but not sure.

That is still a 'ok' frequency if it lasts 2 weeks between an app crash. Its not ideal either of course.

Do you ever completely close an app? This can be done by double pressing the 'home' button. It will bring up everything that is opened at the bottom of the screen. Touch and hold on one you want to close, and they will all shake and have a red minus sign on them, touch to close. When you've closed everything you don't want open, single press the home button again.
Yes, I've been in the habit recently of closing apps after every use.I was told double tapping the home button & then once it (they) show up, slide them up so they're closed.I thought tapping the x was deleting them?

Yes, I've been in the habit recently of closing apps after every use.I was told double tapping the home button & then once it (they) show up, slide them up so they're closed.I thought tapping the x was deleting them?
You may be right now with new iOS. I'm going off of iOS 6 on my old iPod Touch (4th gen). There is a minus sign on mine since you can't swipe them up. You are correct that x does delete them, but that wouldn't happen on mine. That is neither here nor there though, I just was unaware (or forgot) until just now that iOS 7 and up changed it.

Hold the lock button for a few seconds, something will show up on screen if you want to reboot or turn off. Select turn off. Let it turn off, then start it back up with that same button (unless this is also something different from iOS 6..).

Ok, mine says to power off, slide to the right. I've done that a few times since I got it in January.

Back