Why Do Image Files Need Different Formats?

I'm so happy that Safari finally added WebP support. JPG files sizes can sometimes be problematic even with high compression and every KB matters. Now I'm waiting on AVIF support in Safari too.

The funny thing is that I have ALWAYS pronounced GIF with a hard G. It's probably because, as the graphic shows, a soft G would make it sound like peanut butter. :laughing:
Well, to be fair, this is how the English language got this weird. People pronounce/write words wrong and the they are forced to accept these wrong words because so many use it.

The correct way to say it is with a soft g as like gin. :)

It is an abbreviation for Graphics Interchange Format. Each letter has its own alphabetic sound. Why does anyone think it needs to be sounded out as if it is a word?

Wrong it's a hard G as in Get (lost) if it truly were a soft g then the word Graphic would be pronounced geraphic which it is not
If you are taking that route then why aren't you pronouncing it G.I.F. since it is an acronym? (notice how it's a soft G here too?) You just have to read the acronym without pauses.

When you shorten the name Grant Mathew, do you use an hard G when reading G.M.?

Do you also read the G in G.I. Joe with a hard G?

We also know that it is a soft G because the creator of gif said so.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, this is how the English language got this weird. People pronounce/write words wrong and the they are forced to accept these wrong words because so many use it.

No, people pronounce/write words wrong because there are no consistent pronunciation rules for anything. Case in point: There are at least three different ways to pronounce gif that are consistent with how English typically works.

No, people pronounce/write words wrong because there are no consistent pronunciation rules for anything. Case in point: There are at least three different ways to pronounce gif that are consistent with how English typically works.
"consistent with how English typically works" - I'm not sure I would call that consistent. it's more like English has more exceptions to rules than actual rules which kinda supports what I said before. Very few languages have this problem (maybe kanji characters top it, but that's a different kind of mess :)).

File compression and conversion, along with a few other factors, have contributed to those changes. It's all about space, generally, websites have thousand even millions of images in them to save the bandwidth and space the need for different formats emerged.

Presently we have 12 different image formats,
These are:
JPG-JPEG, BMP, EPF, GIF, ICO, HDR/EXR, PNG, SVG, TGA, TIFF, WBMP, and WebP.

Good refresher. Sometimes I get tasked to scan and print school pictures and some are blown up to 8 x 11, and the original are the 6 x 8. So I have to bump up the resolution. I spend a lot of time dialing it in because it's usually with a different all-in-one printer than a previous time and they're all different. I generally scan to JPEG. Now I realize that there are better formats to scan to that would make my job easier. It's been a while, and I may have used the TIFF format the last time, but I don't quite remember. Although, when I digitally distribute to family and friends, it's always by way of JPEG. And at a quality level for 8 x 11 prints if they so choose go that size. The real work is in the scanning. I see that to get every web page down to size, most if not all of these formats are strategically used. Informative. SVG sounds like ray tracing for logos.

But is also subjective as well and not necessarily right or wrong. When I was in elementary school, I was taught that ain't is grammatically an incorrect contraction. Now, many people use it. Such is the evolution of the crazy english language. Numerous examples.

But is also subjective as well and not necessarily right or wrong. When I was in elementary school, I was taught that ain't is grammatically an incorrect contraction. Now, many people use it. Such is the evolution of the crazy english language. Numerous examples.
Yes it is subjective.

"When I was in elementary school, I was taught that ain't is grammatically an incorrect contraction."

Was taught that as well. I would say that ain't is a contraction for I am not.

"When I was in elementary school, I was taught that ain't is grammatically an incorrect contraction."

Was taught that as well. I would say that ain't is a contraction for I am not.
It might be interpreted as such but...
don't becomes do not
isn't becomes is not
but ....
ain't does NOT become ai not

Great article, thank you for it.
I must point out that recently I read a lot of great, quality article on TechSpot.
I barely have time to comment on all as I would like.
Congratulation for the TechSpot editorial team and keep doing what you're doing.
We're enjoying and support you.

Wrong it's a hard G as in Get (lost) if it truly were a soft g then the word Graphic would be pronounced geraphic which it is not
Well, not necessarily. The letter G with an I after it could be a soft G like in the word Gigantic or it could be a hard G like in the word Give. About the only hard and fast rule about the letter G is that it's always hard if followed by a consonant (like Graphic and Glen).

Remember that English is a mishmash of completely unrelated origin languages with words from Celtic/Gaelic (Irish, Welsh, Cornish, Manx, etc.), Friesian, Anglo-Saxon, Jutish and French. As a result, there's no way to know exactly how something is pronounced because it depends on the word's origin. In this case, .GIF's origin is modern English which already has no hard and fast rules for G with a vowel after it so... yeah, it's messed up.

Personally, I'm like you and have always pronounced GIF with a hard G but I never knew if it was correct or not. To be honest though, I never really cared either! :laughing:
File compression and conversion, along with a few other factors, have contributed to those changes. It's all about space, generally, websites have thousand even millions of images in them to save the bandwidth and space the need for different formats emerged.

Presently we have 12 different image formats,
These are:
JPG-JPEG, BMP, EPF, GIF, ICO, HDR/EXR, PNG, SVG, TGA, TIFF, WBMP, and WebP.
Personally, I always just use .JPG because it seems to be the most standard type on the internet and it has good compression to keep the file sizes small.
don't becomes do not

isn't becomes is not
main-qimg-1bd5e87f23fac58d1ade48dbfefde3f0-lq

but ....
ain't does NOT become ai not
images

:laughing:

Back