Why Laptop Crash's (BSOD) with new 750gb External Hardrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So recently I bought a Western Digital 750gb My Book Essentials USB 2.0 drive. (Drive plugged directly into wall)

Upon plugging it into my USB 2.0 port on my laptop, my computer quickly recognized the drive. I am using a Dell Vostro 1500 (c2c, 2gb mem)

After about 2 hours of having it plugged in, the problems started. Randomly my computer would get the BSOD. It would also get it when I would try to click on the drive in drive manager.

My event logger says the following

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x80580926, 0xa70b08dc, 0x00000000).

The BSOD has the same numbers in it and really doesnt say much other than memory was dumped.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on? I have never had these problems before. Could there be a messed up driver on my computer? Any idea's would be helpful

You may also consider contacting Western Digital as well to see if there are known issues with this particular model and also contact Dell support to see if they know of issues with the Vostro supporting large USB external drives. Do you have any other USB devices connected to your system? I am making an assumption here that you are not using a connected external keyboard and mouse and that this is the only USB device you are using. If it is, I would suggest you try other USB devices to see if they give you similar problems.

Check Dell's website to see if they have any updated chipset drivers for your laptop and update them if you do. Also, what Operating System are you using?

I am using Windows XP. I just updated to the latest drivers as well.

I actually use an external USB mouse which never had problems.

Its driving me nuts because I am very very good with computers inside and out but this problem has me perplexed.

The is some suggestion in similar problems on the web that it could be conflict between sound driver and video drivers. When you updated 'the drivers', did that include the sound driver? And the motherboard USB drivers?

Yes. I actually just updated those drivers but havent had a chance to test it afterwards. I will though.

I use Driver Genius Pro so my drivers are always the newest.

I will test with new drivers tonight and also test on buddies laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back