Why would you buy Intel over AMD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pioneerx01

I have been doing some research no CPU's and I can not find answer to one question. Why would you buy Intel over AMD?

If you want the best and faster performing desktop chip, yes hands down it is on Intel's side. However if you compare the performance to price ratio you mostly get AMD. For example Intel Core i7 X 980 @ 3.33GHz seems to be the best performing desktop CPU on the market and it scored 35% better than AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2GHz, but X980 is also 300% more expensive than 1090T.

So If I want to buy best performing chip for the price AMD is the clear winner, correct? Am I overlooking something?

Thanks...

Heat generated and power consumption. While there are a few AMD laptops, most of them are Intel

The decision is mostly dependent on the amount you want to spend. You're always looking to get the best performing components that are available within your budget.

So If I want to buy best performing chip for the price Am I overlooking something ?
You mean aside from a heavy price, performance disparity and some pretty obvious trolling ?
Why not compare like-with-like ? ...like similar pricing points (1090T vs i7 930), dual channel memory vs dual channel memory (1090T vs i7 860/875K)...stuff like that?

For top quality flamebait you could have also compared the 1090T pricing to the W5680

I have been doing some research no CPU's and I can not find answer to one question. Why would you buy Intel over AMD?

If you want the best and faster performing desktop chip, yes hands down it is on Intel's side. However if you compare the performance to price ratio you mostly get AMD. For example Intel Core i7 X 980 @ 3.33GHz seems to be the best performing desktop CPU on the market and it scored 35% better than AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2GHz, but X980 is also 300% more expensive than 1090T.

So If I want to buy best performing chip for the price AMD is the clear winner, correct? Am I overlooking something?

Thanks...
Well no, You've answered your own question, that's pretty super. And now in the words of "Rush", (from 2112), "don't annoy us further, we have our work to do"!

Very nice cap'n.
I may have to reference Witch Hunt for all further fanboy trolling...

Quick to judge,
Quick to anger,
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand...

Why compare a hyundai to a lexus, you cant aford the lexus and they both get you to the same place.

Thanks...

People rarely look at price performance when making decision, you can see this in the prices of many chips on ebay,
For example a product I am familiar with is the amd x2, I can get a 3800 for £40 but
a 4800 cost around £120, that is 3 times the price, for a 25% increase in performance.
So on performance the 4800 should cost £50 but people will pay well over double that price.

A lot comes down to psychology, and the psychlogy of numbers and of being the 'best'.

The laymans term would be 'bragging rights'.

There could be other reasons, the best processor my board will hold is a 4800 but I am not willing to pay that premium, I would rather put the £100 saved towards a new computer.
In a blind test I doubt I could tell the difference between a 3800 and a 4800.

Hard to see how 10 or 20 watts of power could influence someone spending £3000 on a processor, although power may be more of an issue on a low budget.

Personally I would say anyone spending £3,000 on a processor has more money than sense.

People rarely look at price performance when making decision, you can see this in the prices of many chips on ebay,
For example a product I am familiar with is the amd x2, I can get a 3800 for £40 but
a 4800 cost around £120, that is 3 times the price, for a 25% increase in performance.
So on performance the 4800 should cost £50 but people will pay well over double that price.

A lot comes down to psychology, and the psychlogy of numbers and of being the 'best'.

The laymans term would be 'bragging rights'.

There could be other reasons, the best processor my board will hold is a 4800 but I am not willing to pay that premium, I would rather put the £100 saved towards a new computer.
In a blind test I doubt I could tell the difference between a 3800 and a 4800.

Hard to see how 10 or 20 watts of power could influence someone spending £3000 on a processor, although power may be more of an issue on a low budget.

Personally I would say anyone spending £3,000 on a processor has more money than sense.
WTF are you talking about...?

Don't worry if its a bit over your head.
You remind me of the "experts" over at Newegg reviews. Not a one of them can manage to install a heat sink fan, then they start posting a bunch of crap about the "thermal Coefficient" of thermal paste".

Like for example this garbage; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic149618.html

Dude, you need to go back to taking your Ritalin as prescribed, not snorting most of it, then smearing the rest on your CPU.

If I feel the need to read some gibberish don't worry, you have no need to provide it. I'll go with one of the classics. Like for example, "Alice in Wonderland"!

Don't worry if its a bit over your head.

Your kind of a condescending SOB aren't you? its not over his head, or mine. The cpu's are speaking of the X2 3800 and 4800 are ancient CPU's and of socket 939 vintage. they are increasingly hard to come by and you will pay many times what they are worth performance wise because they are not made any more. You have no idea what peoples needs or desires are when they assemble a computer, and quite frankly it none of your business.

Hard to see how 10 or 20 watts of power could influence someone spending £3000 on a process

what does 10-20W of power have to do with anything , and where are you exactly finding any processor that is 3000 quid?

red... you got sucked into this nonsense here; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic149618.html

I'm still baffled why any body responded to this !@#$%^& .......

Well, my computer won't start. so the thermal paste must not be designed correctly.

Normally people don't start acting like that unless they've had an 8 ball of coke blow up in their a**.

Your kind of a condescending SOB aren't you? its not over his head, or mine. The cpu's are speaking of the X2 3800 and 4800 are ancient CPU's and of socket 939 vintage. they are increasingly hard to come by and you will pay many times what they are worth performance wise because they are not made any more. You have no idea what peoples needs or desires are when they assemble a computer, and quite frankly it none of your business.

what does 10-20W of power have to do with anything , and where are you exactly finding any processor that is 3000 quid?

I was just putting someone who was being rude and obnoxious for the sake of it in his place.

Yes you can get AM2 ones a bit cheaper, but that means a new mobo.

The processor in on ebay

http://computers.shop.ebay.co.uk/CP...oards_CPUs&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=16&_sc=1

It's none of your business what my business is so no need for your to be rude either,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back