Will you buy a VR headset?

Jos

open forum

We’ve been promised virtual reality in some form or another for years and now it looks like a handful of companies are ready to deliver. The HTC Vive -- developed in collaboration with Valve -- will reportedly start selling by the end of the year, while Sony’s Morpheus should be out in the first half of 2016 and the Oculus Rift has announced a consumer-ready headset for Q1 next year.

Prices are expected to hover around the $200 to $400 mark and content is being worked on by both indies and big names in several industries. While it’ll likely take a while for VR to take off (or crash and burn), if you’ve tried one of the dev kits, you know there’s potential somewhere in there.

Today we want to know: Will you buy a VR headset when they become available late this year / early next? Beyond gaming what are other applications where you think virtual reality could have an impact?

Permalink to story.

I would, but there would need to be a hell of a lot of games available to play before I shell out a couple hundred bucks

Nobody has a real clue about the product lifespan for vr yet. Are these things going to be like phones and get a refresh every year? How many different vr models are there going to be? Which one do you pick? There's a helluva lot of unknowns with vr so I think it'll pay off to not go grab the first one that hits the market.

Can't say for sure at this point. If I were ever inclined to build a simulator (to play Project CARS for instance), I would definitely consider it. But for use outside of a highly specialized application I would have to see substantial value in content that simply does not exist right now.

All it would take is for it to be completable with Elder Scrolls Online and I'd be willing to hand over a paycheck or two. :) Provided it has all the bell's an whistles.

Yes! I have played racing games for many years, I have been thinking about triple screens for awhile now but I'm just going to wait and get a VR headset. IRacing already supports the Rift.

Not at release, and maybe never depending on how good it ends up. I'm going to need to see it work flawlessly and with plenty of available media before I consider it.

Well, no. In my naivety I believed that all that time they were working on integrating VR with existing content. If that's just a $200 toy for potential future games, than I'm confident it will crash and burn.

I will wait until it become mainstream like the Android phones with all the bells and whistles, so it will be a while...

If it was 50$ yea, 100$ maybe. But 200$ is to much for something I might use for a few hours and set aside. Id love to see a display at walmart or anywhere so I can test it out, the same goes for 3d gaming.

It will take a few serious products to be on the market in order to create proper competition. And only following some good competition for 1-2 years I believe we will see truly good products.

And until then, I won't be among early adopters, even though it is against my own view on new technology products, it's just the specifics of this one, being able to impact my health directly - vision, coordination, reaction, sense of reality, based on a half-baked product - it's not worth it.

I think I will have a big meal then stick my fingers down my throat, as it would have the same effect and be cheaper.

No. Not only would it make me sick, but why can't people enjoy the world around them. Why are they so busy trying to create "virtual realities" when we live on this incredible planet. Get a life and explore the world!

Back