TechSpot

win 98 SE shut down problems

By kac531
Jun 1, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have win 98 SE installed on an old computer for my kids. The problem is that when they shut it down it hangs at the screen that say " It is safe to shut down your computer". I have downloaded and installed the Microsoft fix and that did nothing. Any suggestions?
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

At that moment you need to physically switch off your PC. The old PCs did not have automatic switch-off, as this is a facility in the Power Supply, combined with settings in your Power Saving setup.
    To have the Auto Shutdown work, rightclick anywhere on the desktop, select Properties/ Screen Saver/Power/ and then Advanced or APM, (can't remember W98) and set it up.
    This only works if that PC has a 'switching' PSU.
  3. kac531

kac531 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

98se shut down problems

Real,

I will try that tonight. I have had other os on this computer and it has shut down fine. It orignally had 98 SE on it but the hd became corrupt so I had to wipe it and reinstall. Any advice is helpful.

Thanks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.