TechSpot

Win media player crashes when removeable media pluged in

By Tritton
Jun 21, 2009
  1. has this a problem a while but nerver been that much of a issue, but now i have a blackberry i'm pluging it in a lot.

So basicly when ever I plug in some sort of removeable media be that a mem stick or my blackberry windowns media player crashes. If i don't click on either don't send or send error report and just move it out the way I do still have control over it. I know it's is to do with synicing but i have played with this but can get it to stop

2. TheJediSlayer

TheJediSlayer TS Rookie Posts: 164

Hey there Tritton!

I tried researching your problem online and found an article from Microsoft that relates to the issue you are having.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933547

**Symptoms**

If you plug in certain flash memory devices while you use Microsoft Windows Media Player 11 in Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Media Player may crash.

**Cause**

This problem occurs because certain flash memory devices have noncompliant descriptor layouts. When WMDM (Windows Media Device Manager) tries to read the manufacturer name from the memory device, a memory access violation occurs. Because WMDM runs as a part of Windows Media Player, the memory access violation causes Windows Media Player to crash.

**Resolution**

Please click on the link provided above for the resolution

I hope this helps you resolve your problem,

Tyler

3. Tritton

Tritton TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 108

well it worked for my blackberry, not my mem stick though
    thing is my mem stick hasn't al ways made it crash

4. TheJediSlayer

Well, as you said earlier, you always plug your Blackberry in and out a lot, so at least the article managed to fix the issue for you in this regard. Perhaps somebody else can help you out on why it didn't work with your flash-memory stick.

5. Tritton

Tritton TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 108

well turns out i was wrong, before i just plug my BB in. but i didn't mass storage mode on, once that was on it crashed

6. TheJediSlayer

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.