Win XP SP2 unknown error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nisar Muhammad

hi guyz i have installed fresh win xp sp2 on my pc but after installation windows were working fine but yesterday my windows fire wall turned off automatically and my sound driver was also disabled when i click on volume icon in notification area it gives an error i have posted the image of both firewall and audio driver error and i cannot acess any shared folders on my local area network...can any one plz help me solve this problem........

Click to Maximize

44088976.jpg

Strange, uninstall SP2. Make sure your Anti-Virus is turned off then install Service Pack 3 instead.

From Microsoft:
On the host computer, follow these steps to share the Internet connection:

1. Log on to the host computer as Administrator or as Owner.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click Network and Internet Connections.
4. Click Network Connections.
5. Right-click the connection that you use to connect to the Internet. For example, if you connect to the Internet by using a modem, right-click the connection that you want under Dial-up.
6. Click Properties.
7. Click the Advanced tab.
8. Under Internet Connection Sharing, select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.
9. If you are sharing a dial-up Internet connection, select the Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet check box if you want to permit your computer to automatically connect to the Internet.
10. Click OK. You receive the following message:
When Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, your LAN adapter will be set to use IP
address 192.168.0.1. Your computer may lose connectivity with other computers on
your network. If these other computers have static IP addresses, it is a good idea to set them
to obtain their IP addresses automatically. Are you sure you want to enable Internet
Connection Sharing?
11. Click Yes.

The connection to the Internet is shared to other computers on the local area network (LAN). The network adapter that is connected to the LAN is configured with a static IP address of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

For the audio problem, follow the instructions on the message.

Before putting SP2 on a system:
1. A system should be clean! Run AV and spyware/adware program, maybe even an online scan for each also.
2. Read as much as you can about what to check after a significant D/L like this. It was clearly stated that it would cause some changes in settings-so that would be the best to check right away.
3. Create your own System Restore Point before ANY update from MS. It is not uncommon for an update to cause some system problem.
4. Know what the update will bring to your system and what that means. In the case of SP2, the Windows firewall would be on by default. IF you have another firewall, make the decision right away which you want to run. Likely best choice will be other than Windows firewall as it only looks at incoming traffic, not outgoing.
5. If you have one of the Security Suites that are so common now, know what it has and does in order to prevent a conflict. Rule of Thumb: only 1 firewall. Rule of Thumb: only 1 AV program. Rule of Thumb: at least two spyware/adware programs.
6. Disabling the Windows firewall requires: bringing up the Security Center and clicking to stop the firewall and making sure the 'Windows Firewall' Service is disabled and stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back