Win32/Bagle.gen!C / 8-Steps Complete

By joehorror
Jan 14, 2009
  1. Back again! I recently downloaded the new Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and it came across 4 infections. The only infection it listed though was the following: Worm: Win32/Bagle.gen!C

I've had no probs with the computer but I did have a BSOD happen about a week ago. I've also been unable to set my computer back to an earlier restore point. No other issues have been plaguing me.

Here are my logs. EVERYTHING came up clean including my Norton 2009. Nothing but the MRT showed anything. How can I locate and manually remove Worm: Win32/Bagle.gen!C?
  2. joehorror

joehorror TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

UPDATE: So I ran a second MRT scan and was able to roughly identify which folders had triggered the first virus alert and I attempted to delete them. One program was successfully uninstalled and was quietly deleted...the second wasn't so easy. Thankfully my ThreatFire alerted me that the program I was trying to delete was attempting to copy itself on other parts of my computer. I quarantined, deleted, ran a new scan and came up clean.

Now, I'd like to do my 8-Steps over again and re-post NEW logs but my question is, should I run all 8-Steps in Safe Mode or Safe Mode w/ Networking or will Normal Mode be okay?
  3. BossTone74

BossTone74 TS Rookie

I have the same issue. I am new on this board, can you give me the steps to fix it like you did?
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Uninstall Symantec (Norton) Antivirus
    Then run the Norton Removal tool

Run Startup Control Panel and remove any not required startups: (should be most!)

Install Avira free AntiVirus

Start up Malwarebytes again; Update it; then run a full scan (remove all found Malwares)
    You need to run this multiple times, until all hidden Malwares are uncovered and removed

There you go ;)

You may need to create you own thread, with your own set of logs
    But if you have Norton Antivirus as well, then do the above too
    Also have a look at: UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions
  5. joehorror

Should I run the steps in Safe Mode or will Normal Mode be fine? Once all is done, is Norton 2009 worth keeping?
  6. kimsland

I say no to Norton (think of it this way, your computer is more infected than most, Norton didn't help at all :rolleyes: )

Also Normal mode is fine
  7. joehorror

My comp was actually hit hard when I let my Norton lapse and I opted for McAfee instead. I've been considering Kaspersky as well. I'll follow the steps above though, you've all been doing this much longer than I! I'll be sure to follow your advice than run some new logs and post up.
  8. joehorror

Okay. I followed the steps above, ran MBAM twice and MBAM and Avira came up squeaky clean. What say you? Is this the end of my problem? Were my logs above clean to begin with?
  9. kimsland

Well done :grinthumb
    But no use me going through the above logs, as there have now been changes made
    You can re-submit the new logs if you like
    Otherwise done :grinthumb
  10. joehorror

New logs. Just as a precaution. Can somebody take a peek please?
  11. kimsland

You can uninstall SuperAntiSpyware now

Sorry must rush off, I did a very quick scan of log (30secs), and nothing screemed out

Back later, if you reply ;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.