TechSpot

Win32 error at startup, only when connected to internet

By HughJass
Feb 25, 2005
  1. hey everyone, my names callum and im new to this website so, hi,

anyway, to the problem, i currently am having trouble with my computer and its really annoying becsaue i dont know how to fix it.

To start off, when i start up my computer without the internet on everything is fine, then when my DSL (ADSL here in australia) starts up i get an error saying that the generic host process for win32 encountered a problem and needs to close.

after this the sound stops working, i cannot share any files, folders or drives over the network, the windows XP theme turns to windows 98, the windows firewall stops (so now i got zone alarm), the windows update website doesnt work proply, the game age of mythologly doesnt work when i try to go online, and system restore wont work (says i need to restart the computer and try again).

when i first had this problem i did a virus scan, and it came back with 2 of the same virus (Win32/Mkar), the second time it came back with 1 virus (the same one), then i did a spyware scan (spybot), and another virus scan (i use avg), in safe mode and it came back with nothing, but it still has the problem!

pls help me, i dont no what to do and its really annoying me

Attached Files:

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

3. Miker2

Miker2 TS Rookie

I have the same message on start up (ie before connecting to the internet). It always records the error as having occurred at the previous shut down. Other than this message I have no other symptoms.
    I have run Norton Anti-Virus (completely updated) and found nothing. I have also run ad-aware and spybot. Nothing significant found.
    When searching for this fault across the net, all postings seem recent. (last 3 months). Is this significant.

4. RealBlackStuff

It is most likely to blame on XP-SP2, but I can't confirm that.
    I use W2K/SP4 and have no intention of going to XP whatsoever.
    There are a few posts on this forum, but noone has a solution yet AFAIK.
    Keep reading those other posts.

5. Miker2

Miker2 TS Rookie

Prolem solved (maybe!!)

Thanks for that.
    I may have solved the problem. Today I updated both Spybot & Ad-aware and ran them again. Error message popup did not appear after restart (though another one apperaed, telling me that Instant Messenger download scanning could not be enabled - this is a new one!)
    In my original message, I should have added that when clicking on the 'further details' link in the Win32 error message, svchost was mentioned.
    I don't know if this is relevant.

6. HughJass

HughJass TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 120

so, has the problem completly gonne now?

7. Miker2

Miker2 TS Rookie

W32 error at startup

I spoke too soon, it has returned this morning but, as before, with no further symptoms. I have tried shutting down unnecessary background programs before complete shutdown to see if the problem is linked to a particular program but no luck so far.
    Does your message indicate that the error occurred at shutdown?

8. RealBlackStuff

9. HughJass

HughJass TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 120

Fixed this problem!
    I did a reformat lol

10. divakar011981

divakar011981 TS Rookie

Hello,

I m facing a problem whenever I try to connect internet
    0.2 v

11. divakar011981