Windows 10 Boot Issue after ReInstall

Strange issue that has me stumped so far . . .

TLDR: Wishing to boot to a fresh install of Windows 10 Home on SSD A . . . . but SSD B needs to be powered up in order to do so!

TLDR 2: Will EasyBCD allow me to create a Bootloader on to the new drive, so I can finally boot up without the failing drive attached?

Longer version . . .

PC had been working perfectly with SSD B as the original boot drive with a secondary spinning HDD for data. Original SSD B starts showing signs of failure by repairing disk errors prior to booting in to Win10. At this stage I am still unsure if the SSD is actually failing or not.

One particular boot, Windows fails to load multiple times, so decide on a Repair option of uninstalling the last Windows Update Feature Update 2004. This then sets the PC in to a Reboot that it cannot recover from . . . so now probably a combo of failing SSD & unable to uninstall last Update.

Now install new SSD A & install Windows 10 from a bootable USB. Note original SSD B is connected at this stage.

It is at this stage I realise the original drive needs to be connected in order to boot to Windows on the new drive. Disconnecting old drive or fiddling with Boot Order in BIOS will not resolve this. Even going in to the Boot tab of msconfig, where it shows entries for Windows on both drives & deleting entry for the failed drive doesn't fix this.

So currently on boot up I get a boot message to ask me which installation to boot in to. Default being the new install. If I boot in to the other failed drive it goes back into the original reboot cycle.

So to summarise I would obviously like to be able to boot to the new drive with the failed drive removed from the system. Easy answer is to carry out a fresh install to the new drive, but having carried out more than 10 hours of downloading software to the new installation I'd rather not. I am also curious as to whether this is fixable.

TLDR . . . Will EasyBCD allow me to over-ride the Bootloader on the failed drive & to create a Bootloader on to the new drive, so I can finally boot up without the failing drive attached?

I have been down this road and the easy fix is as you have stated. Remove drive B (the failing drive) and do a fresh install on Drive A (delete all the partitions) Live and learn eh? =)

Back