Windows 10 Oct 17 update

holdum323

Hi! I'm going to try to be humble, but that may be hard for me to do. I joined this forum hoping I could make a difference here. I realize that W10 is not popular here on Techspot. I can understand that. I'm not here to promote W10 or to bad mouth it. I'm here to post my experiences tonight. Here's my experiences tonight. I started down loading the Windows 10 Oct 17 update at approximately 7:00PM. It fished at 12:00PM. I'm not even going to attempt to tell you all the screens I saw while this update was installing. I'll attach a couple screen shots that I was able to capture with the snipping tool. I'm sure you all have seen "Do not turn off your Computer" "Your Computer will restart several times". I don't how many times I saw that message. I hung in there and I now have the latest W10 update. I hope this latest update installs for you. I suggest that you not be stupid like me and not sit and watch this whole process. I wanted to watch so I could report what all went on. Please let me know how your Oct 17 update went.
I registered here on this forum to learn and pass forward what I have learned from others.
This is not my first rodeo. I'm really liking this forum a lot.

Attachments

• Capture27.JPG
    Capture27.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 0
I have successfully Down loaded the W10 Oct 17 update. Windows version 1709. After 5 hours of watching this down load; all seems to be working well. I'll let you all know if I find any bugs. I hope you all have success with this latest W10 build.
Hoping I can make a difference here on the Techspot forum.
PS. Please remember to create a back up image of your OS before you attempt any major changes. You will be glad you had that image; that you can install when things go badly. It will make you a fearless Windows user like me.
Capture26.JPG

Last edited:
Capture26.JPG Hi. Give MS a second chance. I know they are messed up,but I'm willing to give them a second chance.
Everyone deserves a second chance .
Here's my update history tonight??
Here's what I see after the Oct 17 update.

Last edited:
I'm not totally sure what I'm doing; so if you want to help me, please reply on this thread.
I just know I want to make a difference here on Techspot forum. I am who I am.
I like Windows 10 and I'm thinking it will only get better in the future. Do we really have a choice?

Hi. I'm not a newbie on help forums, but I'' m not sure what's going on. Anyone what to help me ?

Attachments

• Capture26.JPG
    Capture26.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi. I do the best I know how. I only want to make the best hand that I can here on Techspot forum. My disk is free of any of any BS. Is yours ? I would really like to hear you!
Show me.

Capture26.JPG

May I suggest that postings pose either questions for others to resolve OR answer a question someone has asked.
You've been humble enough imo, but treating a topic as a personal blog is contrary to the spirit of Techspot.

Hi. @jobeard . I have no idea what you mean by a personal blog. I realize that you hate W10.I wanted to share my experience with the 1709 update. That's what I did. I have answered questions here and asked questions. The reason I registered here on Techspot was to learn and pass forward things I have learned from others. There are several threads here on Techspot that are posted that give information about different things and are not questions or answers. I posted my experience updating to 1709, hoping it would help members here on the forum. I am who I am.
Thank you for your reply!

I applaud your keenness to help out on the forum but you are making a mistake pitching Windows 10 as your hobby horse. Such threads have damaged the forum and achieved nothing. Most of us are over Windows 10 and more opportunities to say :

Windows 10 is great
or
Windows 10 is a disaster
Yes it is
No it isn't
Yes it is
No it isn't
You are a fool
No you are the fool
etc etc etc

are not helpful. I try to stay clear of thread about Windows 10 but have made an exception here. Read some of the mind numbingly pointless and bad tempered Windows 10 threads on the forum and hopefully you'll understand the lack of responses.

Hi. @jobeard . I have no idea what you mean by a personal blog. I realize that you hate W10. I wanted to share my experience with the 1709 update.
True, I am no fan of Win/10 - - in fact, I much prefer my wife's OS X High Sierra or Redhat Linux EVEN over my Win/7 - - but my comment was not pro/con Windows.

Kind of hard you don't understanding blogging, but in brief, a chronicle of experiences is very different than showing step by step navigation to solving a user's problem. I might post my chron of train trips, but that's inappropriate on several levels which is why they're on Shutterfly.

It might have been interesting to have noted things like:
  • failed expectations
  • unexpected changes
  • things that no longer work
BTW: running Cleanup will remove all kinds of temp files and old MS Updates that are no longer applicable.
You run it once as a limited user and again as the Admin.

Hi. I created a thread I hoped would help windows users with the latest W10 build, and what they might expect to see when they install the 1709 build. It appears like it freezes or locks several times. All the updates have been a PITA. Lot of unhappy windows users. There are always unhappy users when MS comes out with a new OS. I have not been a part of these bad tempered discussions about W10 here on this forum, and I don't plan in getting in those kind a discussions, and I'm not going comment any more about this subject. Thanks for the clean up tip. I'm well aware of how to maintain my PC.
I never understand why some people see all the faults of others, but can't see that they have the same faults that they criticize others for. Wouldn't it be great if we all got along and could disagree without being disagreeable.

@holdum323 Nice explanation but that shows that your posting on the subject missed the mark. Lots of text but much of it is about you.

Yes, there's lots of bias on TS and bashing of Apple products in particular, most from those with little or no real experience with Mac or iOS.

Hi! If you want a suggestion about how to install the Oct 17th build. Here's my best advise.
Download the 1709 ISO when available, create installation media (USB, DVD), then run the media from File Explorer clicking "setup.exe" OFFLINE ...disconnected from Ethernet or Wifi.
That suggestion was posted on another thread I created. You probably missed it.
Here's the link to the thread where this was suggested.
https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/5-ways-to-install-windows-10-updates.241343/
Cheers. Have a great day!;)

Anyone notice this new component in Task Manager after this update?
Taskman_Darkpath_171019_2.png
You can change the functions of your GPU that you're watching here as well
Taskman_Darkpath_171019_1.png

Would be nice if the gpu update would come to windows 7.
would make watching your performance so much cleaner.

I'm guessing you don't have a discreet gpu in your system. Am I right?
Hi. Sorry I''m not very good with hardware. I know very little about hardware.Not sure what a discreet gpu is. I run a 6 year old Toshiba laptop. Nothing fancy.;)All factory
Thank you for your reply.Capture26.JPG

Your current GPU is part of your CPU. You don't have a dedicated graphics card so I am assuming that is why you aren't seeing that new section in Task Manager. I've only upgraded one of my machines to 1709 so I'm not sure if it's some other piece of software I have interacting with Task Manager or if it's truly just part of 1709.

My upgrade went well, messing around I deleted the wrong thing. I got it working, then used the Microsoft tool to download and create an installation on a USB drive. I did a clean install, so I've done it both ways! Both were good but I would swear I'm using less disk space with the same software (reinstalled after the OS). This is even after I deleted the Windows.old folder after the update

Back