Windows 10 Fall Creators Update does not play well with Razer laptops

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

For all its bells and whistles, Microsoft’s Windows 10 Fall Creators Update does not get along with all makes and models. In fact, according to a post on the Razer Insider forum, Windows 10's newest iteration causes annoying problems with the popular gaming laptops.

“It is known that all Razer laptop systems are incompatible with Windows 10 Version 1709 Build 16299.15 that is rolling out today. DO NOT UPDATE,” the post warns.

Apparently, the new OS build is causing peripherals like the trackpad and USB devices to fail when exiting sleep mode. Oddly, the problem only seems to occur when the laptop is on battery power.

“Waking from sleep on battery power, any Razer Laptop will have all peripherals, including the trackpad and keyboard, fail to work until the computer is rebooted. This does not occur when connected to a power source.”

Of course, keeping a device that is designed for mobility tethered to a power outlet is not an ideal solution and neither is continually rebooting. The only other known workaround at this time is to roll back the Windows 10 update and wait for either Microsoft or Razer to issue a permanent fix.

Some users have reported success overcoming the issue by reinstalling Precision drivers but it seems that solution is hit or miss. That said, if you are affected, it might at least be worth a try.

Presumably, Razer or Microsoft engineers are already at work on the issue. We reached out to Razer representatives but have not heard back from them yet. We will update this article with any new information as we receive it.

Permalink to story.

They should start their own OS or maybe their own branch, to optimize it even further. That would be awesome to see one day actually.

Had a similar issue, my organization IT policy was not to update (until the computerese guys figure out everything is safe). Well, your brother went ahead and upgraded from win 8 to 10 ... and found out that the Cisco VPN client beautifully broke the entire networking stack at a level so deep that it took me 3 days to fix it. Well, to be honest somebody else fixed it - was a particular laptop model (some lenovo) and only that type was affected - you could not get the network back, even after removing the cisco client and trying the usual tricks - I think I downloaded a script from somewhere, run it and fixed the issue.

Sometime shite happens and is not Microsoft's fault.

The windows 10 creators update also keeps failing on Samsung 960 NVMe drives.

I have to clone the drive onto another SSD, update, then re-clone back onto the 960 for this to work.

Microsoft... sigh...

I have to clone the drive onto another SSD, update, then re-clone back onto the 960 for this to work.

Microsoft... sigh...

950 Pro F T W !

Microsoft... sigh...
Wut??? Ok now that's downright nasty.

It's almost as Microsoft doesn't realize they made an operating system and that stability and optimization on it are of absolute most importance. I wouldn't mind if it was some program nobody relies on, but come on, every since they released Windows 10 it has been atrocious for some people and buggy at best for other people. And every time they add new gimmicks they call features it gets worse and worse and there's no alternative except Linux which isn't really an alternative.

Razer has always had problematic drivers. I can see them having issues with some windows updates.

It's almost as Microsoft doesn't realize they made an operating system and that stability and optimization on it are of absolute most importance. I wouldn't mind if it was some program nobody relies on, but come on, every since they released Windows 10 it has been atrocious for some people and buggy at best for other people. And every time they add new gimmicks they call features it gets worse and worse and there's no alternative except Linux which isn't really an alternative.
You may not believe it but windows 10 is still in better shape than windows 7 in terms of update problems and stability although weird bugs appear on rare occasions for some people (most are just driver issues and very few are critical).

Last edited:
Sounds like a Razer driver problem, not a Windows Problem. Keep your drivers up to date and you won't have issues.

Microsoft... sigh...

I have 960 EVO. Not a single sign of problems with this update.... I did download the update manually though. Also I use Samsung NVMe drivers

I have 960 EVO. Not a single sign of problems with this update.... I did download the update manually though. Also I use Samsung NVMe drivers

Ah well that's good to hear. I for some reason couldn't ever get it working and kept getting an error after the reboot.

By chance where did you download the update manually? I tried with the Windows update assistance and it still didn't work.

Thanks

Microsoft... sigh...
It won't work on my 960 Pro. But it may not be related to the 960 Pro specifically. The error suggests that creators update cannot be installed if you have both UEFI and MBR partitioning. Unfortunately there is no easy way to switch to GPT partitioning. But why the hell would an update care about partitioning?

Sounds like a Razer driver problem, not a Windows Problem. Keep your drivers up to date and you won't have issues.
I agree that Razer is notorious for bad drivers but Microsoft actually has broken driver APIs via breaking changes in Win10. Don't rule them out of this equation.

Microsoft's policy of bundling API changes with security updates is a calamity for an ecosystem build on backwards compatibility.

Back