Windows 7 64bit Memory worries

By james_k1988
Nov 5, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey There,

I recently got new hardware and in the process of trying to fix some issues it brought i think i've screwed my XP install up. I figure this is a good time to install Windows 7 however i just wanted to confirm something

Basically what version to go for. I know the performance differences and how 64bit can use more memory, however after looking online i see everyone saying that a realistic minimum of memory would be 4GB. I'm currently at 3GB, i intend to purchase another DDR3 kit in the future to bump it up to 6GB however i dont fancy dealing with memory issues until then due to 64bit dragging its heels with my memory. I didnt think it would be too much of an issue but thought i'd best check just to be safe

My specs are in my sig

Thanks!
  2. elroacho72

elroacho72 Newcomer, in training Posts: 124

All I can say is go for it add more later if you need too. I thought the same thing but was fine i would go W7 pro ,Home is OK ,I went with the pro. Good Luck
  3. ¼ of a hotdog

¼ of a hotdog TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 214

About the ram, well I'm not completely sure with 7 but I know that 3gb of ddr2 800 did fine for me with vista 64, and I would think 7 would use less ram than vista. Back then I could play games like company of heroes, crysis, UT3, and mass effect without filling the memory completely. The biggest issue I can think of is that if you open as many tabs as I do in firefox or whatever browser you use (my record is 232 tabs open in firefox) you might have to close your browser before playing any games that use a lot of memory but with the specs in your signature I doubt you would see any noticeable hits in performance unless angry bees steal your components and replace them with muffins while your sleeping.

Then again I'm a fool compared to everyone else on this forum so wait for them to reply, yo.

I cant help you with recommending a version of 7 either.
  4. james_k1988

james_k1988 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 290

Thanks for the quick replys guys!

Itll have to be pro, getting it off my work you see, just wasnt sure what bit but now i am. 64bit sounds a nice safe bet, just wanted to make sure it ouldnt self destruct or something. Thanks for the confirmation guys

Haha i can imagine waking up and seeing my heatsink replaced with a muffin :D In some ways, it would be a nice surprise!
  5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,280   +223

You'll be fine with 7 and 3 gigs. 64bit 7 shouldn't act any different than 32bit with 3 gigs.

I've got 7 64bit on my aging C2D system (E6400) with 3 gigs and it runs great.
  6. james_k1988

james_k1988 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 290

I fired on 64bit today and its running like a charm. Everythings just...working! Nice and quick too, just hope it keeps up

I intend to buy another 3GB perhaps around christmas, that should keep me good for a while. Thanks again for the help
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.