Windows 7 hanging on clean install, new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredworm

Newly built computer, installation went well, no problems.

Once the computer has been boot up into windows, it is only a matter of time (maybe 5-10 minutes MAX) before the computer locks up. It has even done it before I logged in. It's a hard lock, I can't ctrl alt del or anything like that. Frozen pointer. Only way out is a hard reset.

Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Safe mode does not hang (with networking, has been on for at least an hour now and no hang)

I believe the error is from "DistributedCOM" of event ID 10005 although I'm not sure
There are many errors in my event list, mostly duplicates though.

EDIT2: Specs:
i5 750
2x2GB DDR3 1333 corsair sticks
Biostar TP55 mobo
500w psu that came with the new case

All I have done is run windows update.

The power supply came with the case, 500W brand new although I'm not sure of the make.

i5 750
2x2GB DDR3 1333 corsair sticks
Biostar TP55 mobo

Nice system... Check for a bios update with this new board. Make sure the bios is set to its default settings

I'm afraid Win7 is far too young yet for every installation to be expected to work - don't forget the vast number of manufacturers who have to get around to fully testing their drivers and even hardware in the real world.

It's sad, but all that can be said so far is - hopefully you will eventually get a bios update or motherboard/chipset update that will solve your problem. All I can suggest in the meantime is do all you can to prove out every component with extensive testing.

You know what I mean ? HDD manufacturers test suite, memory testing e.g. memtest86, any hardware should be tested from a CD if possible - that way you eliminate Win7 as a factor. If that passes, then you start (in safe mode) more tests which stress the hardware, especially the video.

Bear in mind that often a completely unsuspected hardware fault can cause this sort of trouble - for example a faulty DVD drive, even though not in use....

If this was a self-build, are you sure you knew exactly what you were doing, took adequate anti-static precautions etc?

Some people find it helps to install some other OS (such as a linux clone), which will very strongly indicate whether Win7 is the ultimate culprit.

Thanks a lot ... I've updated the bios and made sure it has default settings.

So far so good (I am posting this on the computer itself). I didn't think that could have been a problem because it is a new mobo but I guess thats why I came here for advice

Well it hung up again but this time it had some artifacts on the screen that made me think it may have been a video card problem...

gbhall, if it comes to doing all that crap, I will definitely just try installing a different OS.

Right now I am downloading ATI drivers with the catalyst suite from their website.

If you had installed the ATI drivers from a supplied CD, this could have been the cause of the problem... The drivers from the AMD/ATI site should work. Windows 7 can be loaded on a lot of older and newer hardware and it works better than XP, not to mention Vista

I had updated the drivers using windows update.
Updating the drivers from the website hasn't helped, probably not a gpu issue.

Brand new hd 4550. I have nothing on hand but I don't think it is the video card.

When it happens, audio stops, video freezes, and the computer sounds like it is doing nothing.

Right before the last one, event viewer shows:
Source: Kernel-Power Event ID: 41 Tak Category: (63)
Source: Eventlog Event ID: 1101 Task Category: Event processing
Source: Service Control Manager Event ID: 7026 Task Category: None
Source: Search Event ID: 3036 Task Category: Gatherer

Consider replacing the power supply. Fluctuating voltage can cause odd problems.

Yes Mailpup,
I was thinking the same thing. Many power supplies shipped with cases are factory seconds or no-name, less-than-good supplies. I use them only in low cost no gaming builds

Random

Hey Guys,

I suggest you boot your PC in safe mode and run it for at least 1 hour. If your computers locksup again or randomlly reboots you probably have bad memory.

You can skip this test by using a bootable memtest cd.

Hope it helps.

The PSU was what I suspected first, however I didn't see any problems with the voltages so I haven't bothered yet. I'm gonna try switching it out next.

I have had the computer in safe mode for more than an hour (with networking).

Follow-Up

If you have not had a hung in safe mode I suggest the following:

Disconnect some hardware from the PC starting with anything USB, followed by any none required PCI cards. Basically run your sysetm with the minimum hardware.

This test can only conlcude:

1) Identifying a bad power supply
2) Identifying bad hardware
3) No results at all! lol!

The only way to conclude the second point is by backtracking and installing the hardware one by one.

I have seen in the past that none powered USB devices causes system crashes because it pulls to much from the power supply.

I still suggest you run a memtest just to play it safe.

Ran memtest to be safe before I went out to buy a PSU and it finished with no errors.

I just hope this PSU hasn't done damage to my hardware if it is the problem.

I doubt it caused other damages.

I beleive the the BIOSTAR motherboards have a hardware uitlity software. I suggest you install it. There might be some diagnostics utilities.

"It's definitely not the PSU. The new and improved PSU might even be making the hang up happen faster"...

Did you try another power supply? I don't know where you came up with this conclusion. It makes no sense

Based on the Motherboard it seems that teh original CD provided does not come with the necessary WIN7 support you need to manually download the WIN7 drivers.

I remember you saying you did have some grpaphical isssues, In fact there is a GPU update driver for windows 7.

I suggest you download all the drivers in Safe Mode with network. Start the with the chipset driver installation:

Hope it helps.

"It's definitely not the PSU. The new and improved PSU might even be making the hang up happen faster"...

Did you try another power supply? I don't know where you came up with this conclusion. It makes no sense

Sorry if I was unclear. Yes, I put a new power supply in and it still hangs.

Although I am running speedfan at the moment and it says my +12V is at 0.00V and my -12V is at -8.82V which seems weird.

I'm going to install the Biostar software after work and see what I can get out of that.

Well now, that makes sense... If those Speedfan voltages were real, your computer would not even start. I hope your motherboard isn't the cause of your trouble

Oddly enough I am able to play Team Fortress 2 for good amounts of time without hang ups... but other times I don't even have time to log in. Very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back