Windows 7 launch may not incite PC sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Generally speaking, PC sales surge when Microsoft launches a new version of Windows. Steeper system requirements among other motives exist for people to purchase a new machine along with a fresh Windows build. Recognizing this, suppliers often beef up their stock shortly before launch dates. That was true for Windows Vista and Windows XP, but may not be so for Windows 7.

There are some concerns, sourced from notebook vendors according to Digitimes, that the launch of Windows 7 will have a minimal impact on PC sales this year. Rather, sales aren't expected to pick up until many months later, during the second half of 2010. At that point, they say, larger companies will start releasing money for upgrades, and the market will respond accordingly. In the meantime, it could mean that resellers who stock up too much in anticipation of a strong market this year may find themselves with a surplus of Windows 7 machines.

Overstocked inventory may hurt suppliers, but it will likely be beneficial to end users -- at first, anyway -- as companies offload goods that aren't moving. Windows 7 has had a fairly interesting marketing campaign this year, though it can't quite match the level of excitement Microsoft had behind Windows Vista. Is that playing a part in these rumors, or is it more of an artifact of a slumping PC market?

Permalink to story.

It will by the week after Christmas... but there will no big surges until the economy improves.
For most, the investment also includes a computer or motherboard or power supply and money is tight.

Buying an OS isn't driven by new computers, it's driven by software titles. And if the software that you want run on Windows XP or Mac OX, then that's what you buy. If there isn't some killer app that only runs on or comes with Seven, then what's the point to upgrading? Most people who use safe Internet practices are happy with XP's security, stability, and software support.

Buying an OS isn't driven by new computers
But sales through OEM partners that preload systems with Windows 7 count just as much.

In fact, historically, I'd wager that most Windows sales are from licensed pre-installs and not from retail copies.

Already widely known to be true.
But then machine-linked Windows is not the same as the full version.
It is very difficult, and expensive, to buy the full version anywhere.
Dell and HP together sell more Windows XP than all others combined. I expect that will continue.

Of course, one of the primary factors was sort of missed in this article, which is very telling and a huge factor in the Windows 7 push - for the first time in what seems like eons, a new OS is being released that actually runs better on light hardware than its predecessor. You have to keep in mind that Vista is a horrid, unoptimized pig when it comes to system resources. Rather than do a good job of making it efficient and tight, it was thrown together and just thrown (relatively) huge system resources to make it work. Microsoft has done an admirable job with optimizing Windows 7 (and I don't give kudos to MS often, if EVER, so keep that in mind). In nearly every test I've seen (and done), Win7 works faster on the same hardware as Vista. So, there will be no push to get new computers, like there was with Vista, because Win7 will work decently with most of the hardware already out there.

I ran windows7 and i,m not going to pay M$ 200.00 for it.when you can transform XP and vista in to windows 7. And get all the looks and software for free. So why buy a new PC for a new OS ?????

why does a simple question require ?????????????????
As an odler peson I remember the days when just one ? would work.

@spikester48661, "So why buy a new PC for a new OS ?????"

It is the cheapest and most efficient way to get a legal version of an OS. Windows 7, in my experience, is pretty tight. XP is outdated, only able to run DX9, and Vista is slower. I am currently triple booting Windows XP, 7, and Mac OSX. Even if you "transform" XP and Vista into WIin7, you will not have Win7. You will have a slower version of XP or Vista. So far, Win7 has been incredibly stable and very responsive.

@moeschen "why does a simple question require ?????????????????"

Thank you, I too remember those days.

@Vrmithrax

Windows 7 actually has the same system requirements as Vista does, yet, as you stated, runs smoother on the same hardware. Benchmark results are higher across the board. I can't wait till I find compatible software for everything. So far on build 7600 all my devices work, but I can't get certain programs to function correctly. MS also has the XP sim, but I haven't given that a shot yet.

"Already widely known to be true.
But then machine-linked Windows is not the same as the full version.
It is very difficult, and expensive, to buy the full version anywhere.
Dell and HP together sell more Windows XP than all others combined. I expect that will continue."

eh? You haven't got a clue what you're talking about. OEM copies differ very slightly, it all depends what additional software / branding an OEM distributor wishes to add to the installation. The main difference is that you require the OEM disk to use with your OEM key, you can't use a retail disk.

For example, Dell's copies have a Dell Support Center and a few additional apps, certainly no less than the full product.

I know this to be fact as I work as a Microsoft partner and get all of the software for free. I've been using Windows 7 for months now and it beats the shite out of anything Microsoft have released so far. This article is just pap. Most companies are already pushing free upgrades to Windows 7 when it is released if you purchase Vista now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back