Windows 7 programs crashing and BSOD caused by ntfs.sys

carmina917

hi pretty much my title explains it i have a pc tht i built recently and windows 7 on it keeps blue screening while idling but before this happened while playing a game called americas army 3. programs will crash randomly like i have microsoft security essentials installed and it will constantly say it is not monitoring my computer click to here to start it monitoring your computer. then 5 mins later it will happen again mozilla firefox wil crash persistanly for no reason just crashes tht game americas army 3 will crash constantly and the list goes on i dnt no what it is when i get home i will upload my dump files but so far i have ran memtest for 4 hours on it with no errors have done a harddrive check no errors and have at some point installed windows xp but in tht programs were still crashing but no where near as often plus xp was 32bit but the windows 7 i have installed currently is 64bit could tht have anything to do with it anyway here are my specs

Amd athlon II x3 440
4gbs pny ram 2 x 2gb sticks
asus m4a88t-m mobo
his ati radeon hd 5770 ice-q 1gb
650w psu
dvd drive lite on it corp
400gb sata hitachi hdd

i have looked at the dump files with whocrashed and it is telling me tht it is caused by a windows file called ntfs.sys please help me i have put hours into to getting this to works ad nothing
thanks simon

Hi, an ntfs.sys error is usually caused by a faulty or corrupt hard drive or possibly Malware. Some of your other symptoms can also be caused by an infection.

What hard drive test did you run, was it using a boot disc with the software supplied by the HDD manufacturer?

Please attach your minidumps in your next post for analysis.

First locate your minidump files, they are usually found by clicking on your C: drive, in windows explorer, then click on Windows to view the contents. If your operating system is installed under a different drive letter then look there. They should be stored under a file called minidump.The files will have a .dmp extension.

Zip up at least 6 of the most recent files into one zip folder and save on your desktop (if there are less than five just zip up what you have).

Below the reply box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button, Manage Attachments. Click on that and a popup-window opens.

Click on the Browse button, find the zip folder you made earlier and doubleclick on it.

Now click on the Upload button in the popup. When done, click on the Close this window button.

Enter your message-text, then click on Submit Message.

I ran the chkdsk /r /f from cmd I will run the manufacturer one now and u said malware I tried to run a scan there and the computer went haywire had to hard reset it I could do nothing else here are my mini dumps

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    47.1 KB · Views: 7
Do not run any more scans with your anti virus as it may interfere with detection of any infections you might have if you end up going to the Malware forum. The crazy behaviour when you scanned does suggest an infection but there are a couple more things to check before reaching a conclusion.

The minidumps point towards your hard drive, a device driver or a Memory fault.

I'd like to see the log produced by the chkdsk scan, follow this to post the log.

To get the log Go to Start - type in eventvwr.msc into the search box and hit enter.
When Event Viewer opens, click on "Application", then scroll
down to "Winlogon" and double-click on it to open it up. This is the log
created after running chkdsk. Click on the icon that looks like two pieces of paper to copy it and then paste it here please.

After that try running the PC with just one stick of memory installed, this will slow things down a bit and may make it impossible to run some games smoothly but needs to be done to see if the crashes only occur with one of your memory sticks. Try the PC with each stick individually.

ok just to let you no this is a fresh install of windows has only been on about 10-15 times and i have done very little to it apart from updates at the moment i am running the hitachi dfu test to find any faults once tht is done i will post u the hitachi results and the chkdsk results and running the pc with only one stick of ram i will do do you want me tonite when i go to bed to run memtest with the 2 sticks of ram in i have only ran it once before with both in for one pass shall i do tht?

ok the hitachi hdd dfu test is done and as i thought no errors the chkdsk file is empty like i said it came back with no errors

OK, so far so good, sounds like your hard drive is fine.

Memtest needs to be run for at least 8 passes but it can miss minor faults which is why I always recommend running the PC on one stick at a time. If you do use it, run it on one stick at a time or (if it finds errors) you will not know which stick is faulty.

Apart from MSE do you have any other security software and/or third party firewall installed?

I understand these crashes are fairly regular but was there any point after the fresh install of Windows 7 that they did not occur or has it been right from the start? I am wondering if there is any particular software that you have installed that may have started to trigger the crashes.

pretty much the crashes have been from the start once i had finished building the pc it was blue screening and i thought ok tht is my power supply so i bought a new one which was 650w and it made little change plus lately i out in a new graphics card the one i listed but before tht the built in one would like go unresponsive for a few seconds when playing games and then windows would say an amd graphics driver has just recovered but since the change tht has stopped happening. plus this is about my 3rd install of windows 7 and my 1st of windows xp both give me issues but xp not so much. apart from mse i have nothing else installed and the ram i will do tonite but with both sticks last week i did them one at a time for 4 passes in each slot

I am surprised you didn't return the parts with such an immediate problem arising after assembly. But, from this information I would think it is extremely likely that this is a hardware error and there is a very good chance it is the RAM (was the RAM new?) or the motherboard.

I have helped people in several different threads with similar faults and although Memtest has passed the RAM as being ok, even after 10 to 12 passes, one of there sticks has caused errors while running the PC on that one stick.

One other thing you could try is to check that your Bios settings are correct for the voltage supplying the CPU and RAM. Your motherboard manual should have all the details for the voltage settings and where to find them. The manufacturer's site for the CPU and RAM will have the voltage settings.

yes ino ryt ok wil try tht but the reason i didnt return the parts was i had a 300w psu and i thought tht was the cause for all the problems the ram is new with all the parts but it is not on the compatibility list for my mobo i will look into the voltages now but i dnt think tht 1 stick is to blame

ok the memtest is running and i will leave it running til tomorrow morning with both sticks of ram in i am off to bed will post results of memtest tomorrow morning

Why do you believe that this error is not due to faulty RAM?

You can run Memtest for a week and it may still miss a minor error in your RAM, this is why you should follow my advise and run the PC on one stick at a time. Even new RAM can be faulty.

If the RAM is not on the compatability list for the motherboard that may mean that the RAM you have has not been tested by the manufacturer but it could also mean that you have incompatible RAM, confusing I know. It is a shame they do not supply a list of the RAM that is incompatible.

Why did you buy RAM that had not been passed as compatible by the motherboard manufacturer?

i am not suprised as i didnt think tht the ram was to fault i bought ram tht was not on the compatibility list as i did not check (stupid ino) and i do understand tht it may not pick up those errors but it has been running for 10 hours and nothing whereas windows will run for maybe 30 mins then blue screen i am going to ring asus now and ask them about the rfam and see if they think it is incompatible in the mean time what should be tested next

actually this might help i have a feeling there is a problem with the cpu a while ago i decided to install ubuntu server and while runnning ubuntu server freaked out and gave me an error of some description and im not 100% but i think it had something to do with the cpu. is there a thing like memtest tht i can run to test the cpu i would use prime95 but windows will bluescreen

The problem with any Memory testing software is that it does not test the RAM in the same way that Windows uses it. As I have already pointed out to you Memtest can miss minor faults, it would make no difference in the results if you ran it for 100 passes. I have seen evidence of this on several occasions on this very forum.

Did you confirm that the voltage is correctly set.

Can you borrow someones RAM just for a quick trial run to see if different RAM will make your PC more stable.

You can try this test on your graphics card, be very careful with the temperatures.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
NOTE: Set the alarm to go off at 90ºC. Then watch the system from that point on. If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems. DO NOT leave it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
- Click "Quit" to exit

And this for the hard drive.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3
Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/
Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html
Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads
Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Please provide the model number of your drive if it is Toshiba Fujitsu for further instructions, this does not run on Windows 7. I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.

ok will do the graphics card but not the hard drive i have already done the manufaturer one hitachis one and chkdsk both came back fine

ok graphics card stability test and benchmark and burn in test done no errors what so ever ryt now i am going to check my voltages but i dnt think i can change them in the bios but i may be rong i need to check the mobo book

yes the mobo is giving out the ryt voltages my cpu uses 85w to 140w which is what my mobo supports it says it supports up to 140w processors on the mobo and the ram slots say 1.5v which......hmmm.....my ram aparently needs 1.65v ryt.........

1.5v which......hmmm.....my ram aparently needs 1.65v ryt.........

You need to change this setting to the correct voltage in your Bios, your RAM is underclocked.

If the Bios has no option for this voltage then you need to get compatible RAM for your motherboard.

The wattage of the CPU is not the important factor as you cannot change that, the important thing is to have it set at the correct voltage.

I should have added: I am not able to confirm the voltage setting for your RAM sticks as you have not supplied the part number.

FOUND THE SETTINGS IN BIOS ok i have set the ram overvoltage to 1.650 it is auto at 1.500 so i will see how this fairs and im guessing i will have to run memtest again?

Back