Inactive Windows 7 virus! Really appreciate any help

Status
Not open for further replies.

samw

Hi,

I have the Windows 7 virus. I get constant pop-ups telling me to install a fake windows 7 antivirus software. The popups say that my pc is getting hacked and I have so many viruses. I have not used my laptop since this has occurred. Would a reinstallation using a recovery disk wipe it out? I have downloaded malwarebytes on my friends laptop but I am not sure what to do.

I really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Sam.

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

Hi, before I start the process, I have read a thread on this website that if the laptop was used for banking purposes, then reinstall to factory settings immediately. If this is so, shall I not carryout the tasks that you have suggested. I am currently waiting for my recovery disk to be sent by Dell. I have not used the laptop since the virus was displayed. What would you advise me to do? Will a factory recovery remove the virus?

Thanks Again

Sam

Thanks for your reply. Shall I not bother attempting to remove the virus through the steps that you suggested? I have heard that even with a factory reinstallation, the virus can still remain in the system files. Is this correct?

As the windows 7 virus has blended into my control panel system settings, I am really concerned about how to do the reinstall. Could I do it before the computer loads up. I am using a Dell Windows 7 laptop. Also, is it safe to save documents to flash drive as I am worried that the documents may contain the virus.

Thanks

Sam

Shall I not bother attempting to remove the virus through the steps that you suggested?
We can do it, but it must be your decission.

I have heard that even with a factory reinstallation, the virus can still remain in the system files. Is this correct?
No.

I am really concerned about how to do the reinstall
You can use either recovery DVDs, which came with your computer, or use recovery partition.

is it safe to save documents to flash drive as I am worried that the documents may contain the virus
It's fine, but make sure, you don't connect that flash drive to any other computer until you scan it with your AV program.

I have just received the Dell recovery CD. I will try and reinstall the machine. Will I have to put the cd in before windows loads as I am worried about doing it through control panel as the virus has merged into my control planel system settings.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Ive reinstalled my laptop using the cd. The next part is to install the dell drivers but I am stuck as I am not sure if it is ok to install an antivirus and go on to the internet on my laptop to install the drivers. When I ring Dell up, they wanna charge me £60 for this information! I just dont want the laptop to have problems as the drivers have not been installed. If anyone has any experience or information about this please let me know. :)

Also, in my windows folders there is a folder called 'old windows' . I am worried that this may still have a trace of the virus. Should i be worried?

thanks

sam

thanks for that. does a trace of the virus remain in the old windows folder?
If so, is it a threat to my data usage?

sam

Surely, you may have some infected files there, but they're inactive.
As long, as you don't touch anything inside that folder, you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back