Windows 7 x86 or x64?

By juanchacin
Sep 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Greetings folks, I will go straight to the point, I have always used 32-bit operating systems (x86) but lately I've considered making the leap to 64bit.
    My fear of change to 64bit lies in 2 factors, "loss of performance and compatibility issues."

-I would like some opinions based on your own experiences on the subject, I mainly use the PC for, games, video editing (Adobe ® Premier), image editing (Adobe ® Photoshop), reproduction of A/V and office .

Info of my PC for reference.
    CPU: Q6600@3.2
    RAM: 3Gb
    GPU: SLI GTX 260

In advance thanks to those who respond.
  2. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

I think we're well past the point of x64 compatibility issues for games, Photoshop, Office, etc.
    Not really sure why there would be a loss of performance?
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,419   +281

I think there were some performance comparisons done with games on 32bit vs 64bit when Vista 64 came out that showed around a 1% performance loss running a 32bit game in Vista 64 over Vista 32. So that may be the performance loss he's talking about. 1% shouldn't matter that much, if its even 'real' anymore.

There really is no reason to not use 7 64bit if you are wanting to install 7 and have a 64bit processor.

There is also a sticky at the top of this subforum addressing whether you should install 64bit or 32bit Windows 7.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.