Windows 8.1 to ship on 8/1, according to Paul Thurrott

Rick

Staff

Long-time industry insider Paul Thurrott has indicated the shipment date for Windows 8.1 (formerly Windows Blue) will be August 1 -- or more cleverly put: 8/1. Thurrots date defies previous rumors of a later launch thought to possibly be sometime in October.

At first glance, the tweet may seem a bit tongue-in-cheek. However, when a follower chose to contend the purported shipment date, Thurrott issued a reply which lent more weight to his original tweet.

Although not infallible, Thurrott has a solid track record when it comes to rumors -- particularly ones from Microsoft -- thanks to his variety of inside sources and industry connections.

Interestingly though, Microsoft recently confirmed it would be releasing its 8.1 public preview during an annual conference slated for June 26 through 28. As these types of releases are typically unfinished products, Thurrott's purported ship date would leave Microsoft with a nearly one-month lapse between preview and retail -- that's an uncharacteristically small amount of time for the company to give itself to iron out any remaining kinks.

So far, we know that Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade aimed at improving the Windows 8 user experience, particularly the Metro / Modern UI areas of the OS. The update will feature the return of the Start button (but not menu), better Start Screen searching and customization, access to most system settings without leaving to the desktop, enhanced apps and Internet Explorer 11.

Permalink to story.

Windows 8.1 will be free and won't change any key functionality, rather it's meant to be a cosmetic and usability patch so August sounds quite feasible.

With that in mind, the sooner the better for them since Windows 8 is bleeding and some of the improvements they have showed thus far appear to do well in addressing some (but not all) concerns about Metro and the desktop coexistence. Looking at the showcase video, the wallpaper thing when you switch from the desktop to Metro (and viceversa) makes the transition much more fluid. I believe they are also improving Metro Start for mouse operation, and finally are fixing search. So definitely looking forward to it (until then I'll keep using Start8).

It will still be a piece of garbage and what I thought was a horrible UI looks even worse now!

Just 1 month between the first public preview and the final release - sounds quite improbable. It would be way out of Microsoft's approach to QA. That's why I doubt it...

Windows 8.1 offers no good alternative to Start8 to consider removing it, you will be just as handicapped without it.

Obviously that depends on what exactly you're getting out of Start8. Not everyone uses it for the start menu.

As a power user, what does the start menu offer that you can't access easily even more so on Windows 8.
Immediate access to the complete software catalogue is what needed in order to remain a power user, as opposed to becoming an OS surfer and waste time...

Let me hear the start menu babies cry!

I want the start menuuuuuuu............waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Do your job and stop crying.

As a power user, what does the start menu offer that you can't access easily even more so on Windows 8.
Immediate access to the complete software catalogue is what needed in order to remain a power user, as opposed to becoming an OS surfer and waste time...
The start menu does not give you immediate access to anything not available in windows 8. if you want immediate access as a power user, user the run box. Everthing you use as a power user you can access faster from there. eg win key + r then appwiz.cpl. That is a lot faster than anything you can do with the start menu.

Yeah, right, listen to your drill sergeant now, he will tell you all you need to know about Windows 8, starting with the hot-key for push-ups.

What a joker...

That's one of its purposes. Some people might not have any issue with the start screen, but just want boot to desktop.
Probably bought by the same people who then use their laptop for illuminating the room in the evening, just damn efficient :)

Probably bought by the same people who then use their laptop for illuminating the room in the evening, just damn efficient :)

I don't see how that's the same thing, at all. They're installing a product and not using all of its features. Don't people do that all the time?

They should call it Windows 9 since Windows 8 not doing so well. Wonder if they got rid of adware bloatware in tile apps.

Windows 8.1 will be free and won't change any key functionality, rather it's meant to be a cosmetic and usability patch so August sounds quite feasible.

With that in mind, the sooner the better for them since Windows 8 is bleeding and some of the improvements they have showed thus far appear to do well in addressing some (but not all) concerns about Metro and the desktop coexistence. Looking at the showcase video, the wallpaper thing when you switch from the desktop to Metro (and viceversa) makes the transition much more fluid. I believe they are also improving Metro Start for mouse operation, and finally are fixing search. So definitely looking forward to it (until then I'll keep using Start8).

Still no start menu? Still no way to disable the ribbon and other terrible "features"? Still no interest from the vast majority of users. If the morons running Microsoft want to kill the company, I say let em'. Somebody will happily take their place - maybe somebody who won't try turning the PC into a phone.

Classic Shell offers a start button with the options to set the boot up to go directly to the desktop.

Back