TechSpot

Windows 8 security

By drensmith
Jan 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Ok,,im getting windows 8 tomorrow, my question is,for security, what do I need to disable , and how do I do it? I know about printers ftp to disable and remote help...but dont know where disabler is. any help?

2. Jay Pfoutz

Jay Pfoutz Malware Helper Posts: 4,283   +49

What do you mean, to disable? Disabling security features in Windows 8 is putting your computer on the line for viral & malware attacks. :confused:

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,688   +394

I think he means disable potential ways of entry. Although I would think out of the box Win 8 is pretty secure...

4. Jay Pfoutz

Windows 8 is fairly secure, however, it does have many flaws.

I think a start then, would be to not allow Remote Assistance and not allow Remote Desktop Connections, always have to enter a password to get into the Desktop, and general sense. Some of the common sense things to do for Windows 8 is to not download questionable apps in the Windows Store (only download from trusted providers), don't roam the internet without antivirus & firewall, keep User Account Control on, and don't click on questionable links.

5. drensmith

drensmith TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 74

Yes, thats what I ment,,(disableing potental enteries),,,,,where are the
    remote desktop enteries?

6. Jay Pfoutz

Try this link to TechNoon. It's the only trusted tutorial I could find. :)

7. drensmith

drensmith TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 74

Thanx,,sorry bout the delay

DragonMaster Jay likes this.