Windows 8 to feature improved memory management

By Shawn Knight
Oct 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Windows 8 will have a smaller memory footprint than previous versions, providing better performance to systems and devices using small amounts of RAM. Since the OS will be fully compatible…

Read the whole story
  2. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,382   +15

Now we're talking improvement!
  3. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 873   +80

Interesting, will have to read up more on this though :3
  4. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Booster Posts: 374   +73

Thank god we no longer have the green on black graphs that have been in Windows for way longer than they should have been. But really, I hope they have more of these types of improvements to show us.
  5. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,259   +216

Just the services optimization alone could be huge for performance. The amount of physical services and processes that are continuously running is often ridiculous, although they did seem to clean it up quite a bit for Win7. Looks like Win8 is another much-needed step in the right direction.

It's funny how things are coming full circle, in many respects. Computing started out requiring absolute efficiency and concise coding to fit into tiny operational parameters that were available. Then memory, storage, and processor power erupted in size, and so did programming bloat and resource gluttony. Now, we're getting back to small concise and efficient requirements to fit into the tight constraints of mobility.
  6. Rasta211

Rasta211 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 191   +24

Great news for Windows 8. Now they need to implement a native windows "Gaming" mode where it turns off all non essential services not used for your games and gaming devices.
  7. Nima304

Nima304 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 246   +22

Definitely. I like this current development, though. On Windows Server 2008 R2, my server uses ~760MBs of RAM running just Windows, no applications installed. That's a hell of a lot of RAM, out of 6GBs. In comparison, CentOS 5.5 only uses around 24MBs.
  8. They going mobile could have some good effects on normal desktops as well, a sign we're going away from the increasing bloat in everything or am I just overly optimistic?
  9. this would be great but the reality is that manufacturers need to kill off so much of their own bloatware to be useful. but we all know that this will not be happening due to the fact that they get paid to put that bloatware on the systems to help supplement the cost of production. once there is a truly slim Win system without all the crapware then it will be great. this is of course not taking into account the system builders that only install Win.
  10. Huspower

Huspower Newcomer, in training

Either Microsoft didn't optimized thier windows 7 system in the first place therefore we find this particular version improved and thus most of us who purchased windows 7 will be disappointed indefinitely or Windows 8 is trully a breakthrough and it needs years to implement the system to be ready on the shelves. Nonetheless, Microsoft is gaining out of this.
  11. More RAM is all ever I wanted
  12. gingerbill

gingerbill TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 154   +8

So if windows 8 is better it's poor from microsoft ? not how i would think. I just got windows 7 myself you just have to accept that if 8 is better that's good in the long run . They can't not make 8 better so people with 7 are happy , that makes no sense. I think microsoft have been moving in the right direction in the last few years , i'm happy with 7 and glad i avoided vista .
  13. edwaruma

edwaruma Newcomer, in training

thats a good move win8 is promising to be a good os

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.