Windows Blue to be named Windows 8.1, improves Windows search

Jos

Staff

windows blue windows Microsoft is expected to discuss and possibly even release a public preview version of Windows Blue at its Build developer conference in San Francisco this June. But thanks to a couple of leaks we already have some ideas about what to expect. The latest tidbit comes courtesy of ZDNet’s Mary Jo Foley, whose insider sources claim Microsoft has officially settled on a name for the upcoming update: Windows 8.1.

While not exactly an astonishing revelation, the decision would reinforce previous rumors that Microsoft is moving away from the big-bang Windows release cycle with a major version of the operating system every three years or so, and instead will move toward something more like what Apple does with point releases.

Foley says that the top-level branding will remain "Windows 8" when the 8.1 update arrives, and it’s unclear if Microsoft plans to charge existing Windows 8 and Windows RT customers for Blue.

In related news, a more recent build of Windows Blue was recently leaked online, offering a glimpse at another improvement planned for the update. Specifically, Microsoft will improve the search experience within Windows. Instead of separating results by category -- apps, settings, and files --  everything will be presented in a single screen so there’s no need for extra clicks unless you want to filter down your search results.

The change addresses a major annoyance of Windows 8 by making the search process simpler. In addition to that, Microsoft is also adding in-line web search results next to local results from your computer.

Permalink to story.

My God that resembles my old DOS screens from 1993. I know it is sometimes necessary to go back in order to move forward. Is it really necessary to go back that far, to move forward? Put some texture or a faded image in the background. Or at least allow us the opportunity to do so. That solid blue background is something I've spent 15 years getting away from, I'm not gonna accept it as the future when I think of it as the past.

Microsoft seems to be on a permanent state of Catch 22 because Windows 8 (or 8.1) does little to merge touch (Metro) and the standard desktop. Non-Windows slates have the advantage of using lower-powered CPUs and longer-lasting batteries, while Windows 8 tablets offer PC like functionality with some compromises and bigger price tags. Haswell will help the Windows cause but not entirely resolve it.

As for search, since day one I've been saying it, Windows 8 much publicized search is broken: https://www.techspot.com/review/587-windows-8/

I really think 8.1 will throw off a lot of consumers... plus why would someone wanna pay for something that should be coming in a service pack? I bet they are gonna follow Apple, and release Windows yearly.

Of course, OS X style. you know it is a good think to imitate the good things in life.

Hopefully after Windows crap point one they'll make Windows 7.1, otherwise I'll just stick with Windows 7. A few modifications and it is great for touch screens. Now if only I could upgrade a new Windows 8 tablet to Windows 7. :)

Increase Windows DPI. Set large taskbar icons. Get the Grab and Drag extension for Firefox. Then use Chessware's Touch-It Virtual Keyboard. Voila, you have a productive OS that is touch screen friendly. Want a full screen browser? Hit F11. I don't understand Windows 8, it's horrendous for a mouse and keyboard, and it isn't even good for touch screen computing.

I mean if you want Windows on your tablet, isn't that because you want a productive OS? Otherwise you could just use Android and do one thing at a time.

Or just install start8 where search works correctly. That was one of the main reasons I hated the start screen. Search sucked.

Not an important feature but a matter of better taste... I hope Windows 8.1 also comes with a better default wallpaper (on the desktop). I know they are shooting for the mainstream, but that blue background with a flower is just uncool.

Seems like Windows 8 and Start8 combination is taking away the bad side of W8. Same for me as well by the way.

Improving the search function doesn't add up to a lot. The best search anyway is the EVERYTHING program which really does find everything with no fuss whatever!!!

Microsoft really have to do something special. They're between a rock and a hard place with Win 8 at the moment and naming it Windows 8.1 instead of something like Windows 8 Evo is pure genius. I wonder which Einstein thought of that... They're off to a good start (button)

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I do one thing at a time on my PC, I just move quickly between programs. Same on my Nexus 7.

He's probably referring to users who are multitasking often, like programmers, writers do, for example.

Microsoft is making choices that are pushing me to Linux. With the current direction of Microsoft, Windows 7 will be my last Microsoft OS. It's been great but it's time to move on.

I hear Windows Blue (now 8.1) will be subscription based. I think it will be $9.95 per month, but they will probably have some promotional deals and yearly packages as well.

Microsoft really have to do something special. They're between a rock and a hard place with Win 8 at the moment and naming it Windows 8.1 instead of something like Windows 8 Evo is pure genius. I wonder which Einstein thought of that... They're off to a good start (button)
Probably that same closet Apple sympathizers that do the advertising videos for the "Surface Tablets". Don't make me post another one of those gems.....(n) :mad:

Eternal upgrades are a sucker's game. I just like to stick to XP on my six year old PC. I don't feel I need to upgrade either the hardware or OS until the former breaks down. If I buy a new PC some day, I will install Windows XP pro and eliminate the need to change my habits of using the PC.

Back