Windows Explorer won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

c50662

I restarted my computer today only to have windows explorer not run, I've tried running it from task manager but it only stays up for a second or less and disappears again. Have tried restarting, Shutting down and unplugging everything but neither worked. I ran HiJackThis and am including the log.

This is getting really annoying having to run all my applications from task manager, so get back to me asap. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your system is infected with the Vundo trojan.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of c50662 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I decided to reinstall windows. HiJackThis log attached. I also did an AVG Anti-Spyware scan and have that log attached too. I deleted the tracker cookies/adware that showed up with AVG.

your log looks good, although this is suspect "related.htm".
what you can do first, is to place hijack this into prgramme files and then change its name to 'analyse this', as there are a couple of bugs that hide from it under its original name. then post a new log.

it always advised that should you suspect any adware, spyware or virus in your pc, start at THIS LOCATION

your sevice pack needs updating and you have no firewall. get one from here

You are running HJT from the wrong location and you haven`t renamed it as per the instructions. Also, your AVG Antispyware log says all items have been ignored. This is because you failed to tell AVG Antispyware to quarantine the results. See this thread HERE.

You didn`t attach a Combofix log as requested, nor did you give me the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

You`re running a completely unpatched version of Windows. This is a huge security risk.

Go and download, then install the Windows sp1a service pack from HERE.

Post a fresh HJT log as well as another AVG Antispyware log and don`t forget to attach the Combofix log as well. Let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of c50662 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Just to let you know, I've bought a new hard drive and installed it. So no more problems. But is there anyway to remove the trojan without my new hard drive getting infected with it?

the only way is to follow the instructions that has been given. or wipe the drive clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back