Windows hardware installation manager overrides my Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT install

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmasterxtreme

i just bought an nvidia Ge force 9400 gt and tried installing the drivers and i get an error message that says
(the nvidia setup program has detected that one or more Microsoft hardware installation wizards are active. do you want to continue with setup? click yes to minimize setup until you complete or cancel the other installation wizard(s). click no to exit setup.)
the installation wizard is trying to automatically install the hardware but if i go into control panel/administrative tools/plug and play and disable plug and play like i was told, the program says that there is no available graphics adapter but the original error message telling me other installation programs are running is gone. how am i supposed to install these drivers if windows is trying to install them with another program? How can i disable hardware install wizard so that it doesnt disable the graphics adapter PLEASE HELP!

Follow these steps to install your new graphics card:

1. Download the latest drivers for your card. Clean all old video drivers from your system. You may use Driver Sweeper if you wish.
2. Shut your PC down and put the new GPU in the motherboard slot.
3. Start up the system and change your primary graphics adapter in BIOS to PCI-E (assuming you have a PCI-E card) or PCI / AGP.
4. After logging in to Windows just close the Hardware Installation Wizard when it comes up. Double click on the drivers you downloaded and it should be installed without any issues.

well the problem is if i remove the gpu than the nvidia installer will say there is no graphics adapter. i could get the program to install if i could somehow close the windows hardware installation wizard but how do i do that when there is no signs of the program being open. when i try to open the hardware wizard it says you can only run 1 of these programs at a time so i know it is open somewhere. i dont know what the installation manager program is called in task manager in the processes tab to close it from there and i dont see the program in the applications tab

Ooops. Actually, i read electromagnetic's post to quickly. I was thinking disabling it in BIOS not Device Manager.

Please do the following:

See if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Generate a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the reports. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)

Disable your Integrated graphics in device manager. If you were using it. Then add the card to your pc.
OK. For one, my apologies.. i got real confused when i read electro's post (i think i been going back and forth between too many different sound vs. graphics problem threads). I was thinking integrated audio. Your problem is display driver. DUH to me. :eek:

As to what dxdiag indicates: Yes. Windows is only seeing one graphics device
Code:
Device ID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0641&SUBSYS_0562196E&REV_A1\4&29C08469&0&0008
And this is the Nvidia device (just fyi VEN_10DE means Vendor = Nvidia)

What model # is your thinkpad? I can look further at your problem but probably not till tomorrow afternoon....

OH! But you must have run dxdiag while your nVidia board was NOT physically installed?

In which case the ONE device is the m/b onboard nVidia chip (not the chip on your nVidia board)?

If that's the case, you need to look in your BIOS to disable onboard/integrated graphics!

the model number is ThinkCentre M52 8113-E7U
the video card was installed at the time
ive looked in the bios and cant find onboard/integrated graphics

ive looked in the bios and cant find onboard/integrated graphics

Hmm.. probably can't do much more tonight.. will check back probably sometime late tomorrow so maybe 24 hrs till i can reply.. tho maybe someone else might see something before then... laterzzzzz

i dont think the old graphics driver is installed on this computer anymore because all that i have in device manager is under other devices/Video controller (VGA Compatable) no drivers installed thats it i dont have anything about graphics

[post=876108]See here [/post]to set device manager to display hidden and non-present (i.e. disconnected) devices and tell me if you see the integrated and/or addon graphics cards and if they are ghost devices or not.

ok i found the display adapters they are Intel(R) 82945G Express chipset family. i went to the properties for this adapter and it said they are not connected but i dont know how that is possible since they are integrated into the motherboard

ok i found the display adapters they are Intel(R) 82945G Express chipset family. i went to the properties for this adapter and it said they are not connected but i dont know how that is possible since they are integrated into the motherboard

Integrated Graphics Issue
When you're using your addon board you don't really want the integrated adaptor to be connected anyway (tho would be nice you can get it to work when needed!)
Check:
> Remove the addon card and reboot. (the integrated adaptor might be automatically disabled when the addon card is sensed on powerup)
> Go through all BIOS settings again, carefully. make sure you didn't miss it
> If not detected after addon is removed and not disable in BIOS, probably hardware failure

Addon Card Issues

Well if both cards were enabled at install would explain your problem.. Could you provide me the link to the nVidia driver file you are installing? i'll take a closer look

/* edit */
I mean to say.. since only the addon card is connected at boot up your install problem isn't due to both being enabled

ok i set the device manager up to show hidden files. it showed my old graphics adapter Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family. i went to the properties for this adapter and in the device status box it said
Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
I dont know how it is disconnected because it is actually integrated into the motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back