TechSpot

Windows Maximum Memory

By formetopoopon90
Apr 22, 2007
  1. Hey guys, i'm training for my A+ and i had a question about windows concerning the maximum amount of RAM you can use with windows xp. Microsoft says that you can use up to 4 GB of memory with Windows XP. I know that with 32-bit processors, the address bus will allow up to 4 GB of RAM but windows xp will only recognize 2 GB of RAM. If windows will only recognize 2 GB of RAM then how can Microsoft say that windows xp can use 4 GB of memory. Are they referring to Virtual Memory? All help is appreciated. Thanks!!!:)

2. Jimbo420

Jimbo420 TS Rookie Posts: 484

What version of xp are you talking? I think that you may have to have pro which I have seen a system that will reconize all 4. Not sure how they did it it was uning. Although I am not sure what you would need that much memory for unless you were running a server with server 2003.

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

XP PRO can address up to 4GB

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,816   +922

5. formetopoopon90

formetopoopon90 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 58

alright. Thanks a lot for your help guys:)

6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

so yes. Windows can POTENTIALLY address up to 4gb...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.