Windows Phone shipments surpassed BlackBerry last quarter

By Dave LeClair
May 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. When people think of smartphones, iOS and Android are the first operating systems that generally come to mind. The two have a stranglehold on the market, but there are still smaller battles occurring on the lower end of the sales...

Read more
  2. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Addict Posts: 394   +101

It's interesting to see the data breakdown because I live in Canada and I definitely see a lot more BB devices than WP even though I own a Lumia 800 myself. Maybe it's just cause BB phones are easy to spot at a glance.

I don't really understand why a lot of people get worked up over market shares of companies. I don't think it really matters either...

As long as the company is 1) generating healthy revenue, 2) generating healthy profit, 3) satisfying its user base, then it's market share to its competitors shouldn't be a big deal.

It reminds me of Steve Jobs' stance on Mac desktops vs Windows desktops. He (at least publicly) didn't care that Macs had a small portion of the market because the division was still generating good revenue, profit, and growth regardless.

I guess it just boils down to the old "my stick's bigger than yours" mentality.
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,819   +884

Good progress.
  4. gamoniac

gamoniac TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 215   +46

There is some truth in that, but Apple is an exceptional case; their target audience is different. Companies who holds larger market share attracts more application developers and can easily dominate many aspects of the industry (material costs, contracts, exclusivity, etc). Even the iPhone has slipped down to 17% market share. That is unimaginable just 18 months ago.
  5. Chazz

Chazz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 630   +59

It's a wall street thing that tech bloggers caught onto. It's more of a popularity contest. It doesn't matter if Microsoft brings in the bank quarter after quarter. If the investors aren't "excited" then it doesn't matter. Marketshare or incredible gains in marketshare is what excites them. Because they can better guess what the future of the company will be like.

Microsofts stock has been stagnate for years. But I'm quite sure in the last few years they've been making the most money(profits or otherwise). I think Apple(or IBM) would be the only ones close to them or ahead of them in the tech field. That doesn't matter though.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.