Windows Server 2003 ENT - Rebooting Daily with Stop Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziroc

(Thank you in advance, you guys are great)

(did the advice you posted in the sticky)

This began a Month ago, and the server would reboot once or twice daily, and I'd log in when I came in, and get the event viewer codes (as attached as eventviewer.txt)

I keep that system clean, never use it to browse, did scans, ran sfc etc. Then, on the 14th, I came in, and the desktop was frozen--and the network connection icon in the bottom right was in the disconnected mode. odd.

So I force a reboot, and i get a 'cannot boot because of missing files' stuff. I go into BIOS, and BIOS locks hard while navigating in it. So I think its a RAM issue, and pull two sticks. I boots fine, but does run chkdsk /f, as maybe the ram caused corrupt files when writing. (non-parity ram)

But the odd thing is I cannot get the network connection working. Swapped out the cable, checked the connector for dust, etc, reinstalled the Intel driver (This MB is one that has the nic on the mb) Still not working.. So I dropped in a 'real' nic card to pci, and install drivers, and that works.

It didn't reboot for a day, then at 5:30ish, it rebooted on error.

---------------------------------------------
Server Stats:
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe 478 Intel 875P ATX Intel Motherboard
x2 G.SKILL Extreme Series 1GB (2 x 512MB)
Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Northwood 3.2GHz Socket 478 Single-Core Processor Model BX80532PG3200D
SB Audigy v1 Sound Card
---------------------------------------------

Attached are the minidumps--I check the 15th one, and it shows my Imail exe (smtp32.exe) crashed, but on the other dump file it shows something different.

I never used the minidump/debug/symbols before, but tried too. I'm at a loss now though. Any help would be appreciated guys!.

I read your minidumps andthe following errors are:

Two 0xA which are caused either by hardware or drivers attempting to access an IRQ Level that they have no right to. Unfortunatly they only cite Windows drivers which are too general to be of much help.

One error is 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

Again another Windows driver is cited. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information and note RED Xs in particular.

The fourth error is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Again, another Windows driver. However, in the Process_Name of the minidump it cited SMTPd32.sys and from what I have researched this has to to with Simple Mail Transfer Protocol for sending and receiving mail over the ionternet or over an internal TCP/IP network. Usually this really isn't the issue but is cited as the issue in diagnostic read-outs.

You mentioned your network issues. Have you scanned for infections?

* By the way are you the same Ziroc that owns and operates Ironworks Gaming forums, et. al.?

* By the way are you the same Ziroc that owns and operates Ironworks Gaming forums, et. al.?

I am! Do I know ya? :)

PS: I have zero infections, and checked every single area, even checked registry entry oddities as well as other things.

The Smtp32 is my Email server outbound service.. Could the ram somehow have corrupted it? I mean, it was installed like 2 years ago, and its not a file that gets modified. Can corruption still occur?

The ram I removed seemed to allow it to boot fine so I dunno if the bad ram is still in, and somehow its back to intermittent, and the ram I pulled is good, or what...

I haven't installed anything on the server since or before the issues.. Same drivers and stuff..

The Unusable Nic port on the MB is worrying me though.. if it's not a driver issue, could it be a breakdown in the motherboard pathways? spitting out random errors?

The choppiness loading the website was definitely due to the ram pull. Everything was much faster like it used to be.. I ran everest, Hijack and all the other programs to see whats loading, and all is clean. I keep a very small footprint loading the OS.. (tech nerd in me) :D

Yep, I'm a member -- Albromor. When I saw the name and then the location of Florida -- well there is only one Ziroc that I know! :grinthumb

Anyway, yes it could be corrupted but, Z, from what I have read --and I'll confess very limited at this time -- that driver will show as the cause but actually other things may be the actual cause; perhaps other corrupted driver, etc.

How old is the motherboard? I also find it interesting your experience with the RAM. If the motherboard is going -- only conjecture here -- it wouldn't be suprising if other aspects are failing.

How long did you run Memtest?

Wow! Albromor, I know you! :)

Yeah I ran memtest for 2-3 hrs on the two chips in now, and all is well... I guess I'll run a full day test on it--and do a motherboard burn-in test.

Yeah--what I was thinking is maybe the ram isn't bad, the the MB and slots the ram sits in are somehow going nuts or a controller on the board or bridge is dying. Will do that and see.

The Server is my old home system from 2002--its an IW upgrade though, I got a new home system in 2007, and moved the older one to IW.. I really hope its not the MB, as I dunno if I can get a replacement for it--same one I mean.. maybe newegg will have one.. lol.. (would rather do that than having to get new ram and CPU, as I don't have the $$ currently)

I wonder if I ran a chkdsk /f again, and it reported new errors, would this possibly mean the HD is dying? Or maybe the MB controller is dying and making those errors.. I really don't wanna do a total break-down of the entire system, but I may if this keeps up.

I did back up IW's though, so all is cool if something happens. :)

Also, find the make of your harddrive and go to the manufacture's website and download their free diagnostic utility. Do all the tests. This will take some time but well worth it.

I agree on running chkdsk and did you get a chance to check the Event Viewer? Look especially for RED Xs and even Yellow Triangles.

Now I know one muct be cautious about eBay but I did get a used motherboard off an IT guy to build a second Family rig and it has worked great. Then again I knew the motherboard. If it is the mobo going that might be an option.

Also, what about a Windows Repair especially since you have everything backed up?

Also, find the make of your harddrive and go to the manufacture's website and download their free diagnostic utility. Do all the tests. This will take some time but well worth it.

I agree on running chkdsk and did you get a chance to check the Event Viewer? Look especially for RED Xs and even Yellow Triangles.

Now I know one muct be cautious about eBay but I did get a used motherboard off an IT guy to build a second Family rig and it has worked great. Then again I knew the motherboard. If it is the mobo going that might be an option.

Also, what about a Windows Repair especially since you have everything backed up?

Oh yeah, I'll do that chkdsk and HD util run after peak hours-- I am an event viewer nut. I check it daily, so yeah, when I see an "X" I make sure I check it out.. Usually something I Ctrl-alt-del removed or a service I killed.

Yeah, ebay is indeed a good option! Will keep that in mind.
The Video card in it is an old.. lol, Geforce 4400Ti.. VERY old, but I wanted something that did 'ok' graphics as well as kept a very low temp in the box.. (Graphics are like the least of my uses for it) :) But Its a nice video card for a server.. maybe its dying..

Now when I was in BIOS, navigating though menus, it locked as I was changing menus--like a graphical ripping of the ansi menu.. maybe the video ram as you said.. I have a backup video card if I need to swap it out and test it..

Keep us up to date. I had the 4200Ti at one time and was excellent in its day but died a little over a year later and I never could get ASUS to honor their warrenty.

I did check eBay and there are some very decent socket 478 mobos from what I read but its tough to tell because you can only go by photos and seller description.

Keep us up-to-date Z. We'll be very interested in what you find with your mobo burn-in test.

Ok, I did some checks, and here is what's happening:

1. The Ethernet card built onto the MB will NOT work. I get the "X" sometimes, then it'll say its connected at 10Mbps. (not 100Mbps) and its not 'really' connected, because no traffic can go out or in.

Could the HD have bad sectors? (Checking now--again) because its been crashing more and more--could a driver fail if it's sitting on a bad sector? or partially fail?

IF it's not the HD, it's the MB 100%. I have a backup HD, in case. let me know the above though. (It always seems like when I mess with that ethernet card drivers, it'll ALWAYS BSOD on me..

Thanks!

Hey Z! What HD diagnostic utility are you using? Bad sectors will cause all kinds of headaches. Did you do the motherboard test and if so what did you find? Are you able to install an ethernet PCI card and disable the onboard via the BIOS?

If you have any minidumps attach the five latest in your next post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back