Windows Seven

Windows Seven better or worst

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultiweap

Hi all,

Just wondering some info about Windows Seven and what do you think about it and what will it be...

Do you think Windows Seven will be better than Vista in terms of performance and style or will it be worst.

i think at first it will probably be worse, then with updates and stuff it will become good like vista did at SP1

Isn't it a bit too early to kind of think about the performance ? I mean, if we listen to the rumors, it is due for 2010...
Well, at least we can comment on the style : from what I've seen, it looks pretty much like Windows Vista.

Yeah its a little about the performance but I heard that Microsoft decided to stop using the Vista platform and will use the Win XP one for making Windows Seven thats I think will make Windows Seven better than Vista.

And for the style I saw some pic and yes it seems a long way nicer that Vista

I'll correct you Windows 7 is expected to be based on Windows Vista and more details will be released in October at 2 Techie Conventions.
Here is a Link To A Story about it Last Week - Windows 7 Details To Be Released

Oh also I didn't vote, don't think I need to yet.

Windows 7 was previously known by the code name Vienna or Blackcomb. A Microsoft representative confirmed that Windows 7 is the internal name

1. Windows 1.0-3.1
2. Windows 95/98/Me
3. Windows NT
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows XP
6. Windows Vista
7. Windows 7

Or it's this:

Win NT 3
Win NT 4
Win NT 5 aka Win 2000
Win NT 5.1 aka Win XP
Win 6 aka Vista
Win 7 aka Win 7

Windows 7

Anyone looking forward to Windows 7?

Might be a little early in the development process to ask about it but why not? Something to discuss at least.

I dont think there are going to be any real compatabilty issues like XP>Vista had. Vista was built from the ground up, and Windows 7 is based off the vista kernel. Its almost like comparing Windows 95 and Windows 98...looks and feels the same, but with subtle improvements.

I also have never had any problems with my vista machine so i have no complaints on the OS. I have read things on Windows 7 m1 and m2 and it seems that it might be coming to consumers faster than we think, and there wont be any high hardware demands which is where XP users ran into trouble with Vista when they upgraded.

I dont know just wondering what people think will come of Windows 7.
When the Beta is released, would you atleast test it out? Or did everyone just go to Mac when Vista was released.....

I know very little about it. Sure I've seen a couple articles and a vid that seemed to make the news a month or 2 ago, but thats all I know.

I remember back before XP came out I was going to college, and I don't know whether things were just more lax then, or I just was friends with people who knew people, but I would get builds of XP, called Whistler, every month, sometimes more frequently. I'd run these, along with a few friends, as our primary OS (bad idea most of the time) and I became very framiliar with XP way before it ever came out.

Is this stuff still happening with Windows 7? Am I that out of the loop now? Or is it just much harder to get your hands on that stuff now?

The betas start in October last I read.

Also, I read that many of the new features have been cut out (WinMin was one I wanted). This feels like a Vista release minus some of the bloat. An expensive fixpack, if you will...

I look at it this way. If its not better than Vista I hope they keep updating XP for a long time. From what I've seen and heard it doesn't look like there will be any improvement of the user interface or speed. Both the main reasons I don't like Vista at all.

I look at it this way. If its not better than Vista I hope they keep updating XP for a long time. From what I've seen and heard it doesn't look like there will be any improvement of the user interface or speed. Both the main reasons I don't like Vista at all.

Microsoft ask that Windows XP will be updated until 2014... So you have time until that to change OS and upgrade you PC to a very fast one.

Actually Windows XP is only supported till April 2009, the 2014 Support Date is for Business or Commercial Use. So everyone is pretty much forced to go to Vista by then or wait a while with a sort of Comprised System and wait for what is called Windows 7 currently.

Here is a Link - http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&x=9&y=15&p1=3223

Ours is the Mainstream Support after that it is extended support for Businesses.

If you click on the FAQ on that page as well you will see Microsoft offer 5 Years Support from General Availability of their OS's and then possibly an extra 2 years based on the First Service Pack Retirement, SP1 was retired in October 2006 which means Microsoft are actually being Generous by an Extra 6 Months support they could kick us off next month and say no more support meaning we would be forced to then upgrade to Vista.

Cool i just wanted to see what others thought of the next Windows. Like i said its too early to be talking about new features etc. But we have to start somewhere right?

I noticed haha =) I guess a mod noticed two threads on Windows 7 and merged them. Its good because now theres more info of the new Windows to go around!

Actually Windows XP is only supported till April 2009, the 2014 Support Date is for Business or Commercial Use. So everyone is pretty much forced to go to Vista by then or wait a while with a sort of Comprised System and wait for what is called Windows 7 currently.

Here is a Link - http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&x=9&y=15&p1=3223

Ours is the Mainstream Support after that it is extended support for Businesses.

If you click on the FAQ on that page as well you will see Microsoft offer 5 Years Support from General Availability of their OS's and then possibly an extra 2 years based on the First Service Pack Retirement, SP1 was retired in October 2006 which means Microsoft are actually being Generous by an Extra 6 Months support they could kick us off next month and say no more support meaning we would be forced to then upgrade to Vista.

We will still be able to use xp but just that the updates won't be available anyone and Windows XP mainstream (PRO & Home) will become day by day from April 2009 outdated.

So it will be better to start using Vista from now???

I think that everyone needs to face the fact that when a new OS comes out, most things are going to start involving that new OS and not so much the old one. Windows XP is a phenomenal operating system that was so great people did not want to go to Vista because they would have to pay more for something they already have, which is a great OS. For me, i like to upgrade, but i also like to be prepared. It might be better to start getting used to vista as soon as you can because Windows 7 will run on the same kernel. If you dont know vista, you wont know windows 7. I keep an XP Pro SP3 laptop just because i like the OS and it was the first OS i really started to get in to. Sometimes i run into a snag on Vista that i can fix with XP.

There are alot of different variables that effect OS's. I say get used to vista now so you can be prepared for what comes next or just because thats how modern OS's will most likey be based on, if not, just keep XP until Microsoft stops supporting all versions (including corporate) all together =)

I think that everyone needs to face the fact that when a new OS comes out, most things are going to start involving that new OS and not so much the old one. Windows XP is a phenomenal operating system that was so great people did not want to go to Vista because they would have to pay more for something they already have, which is a great OS. For me, i like to upgrade, but i also like to be prepared. It might be better to start getting used to vista as soon as you can because Windows 7 will run on the same kernel. If you dont know vista, you wont know windows 7. I keep an XP Pro SP3 laptop just because i like the OS and it was the first OS i really started to get in to. Sometimes i run into a snag on Vista that i can fix with XP.

There are a lot of different variables that effect OS's. I say get used to vista now so you can be prepared for what comes next or just because thats how modern OS's will most likey be based on, if not, just keep XP until Microsoft stops supporting all versions (including corporate) all together =)

Yeah I agree with you about all that but a lot of people don't have the means to buy and upgrade there PC to attend the Vista requirements so in a way they are force to remain with Windows XP. Me I have 1GB RAM PC and a Internal Graphic Card that shares with my PC and thus slow it down while playing game but a chance Microsoft make a great improvement about Vista Resource Management as when playing windows application are well compress to let the place to the big application mainly 3D ones.

But if Windows 7 will be released on the same kernel than Vista thus it will be better using Vista now for those who can. But that's not sure for all these as we know that Windows 7 will be released on in 2010 and as for many OS Microsoft can postponed it to another year and completely change the kernel. So for being sure about that a 100% better see when it will get out on the market.

Yeah I agree with you about all that but a lot of people don't have the means to buy and upgrade there PC to attend the Vista requirements so in a way they are force to remain with Windows XP. Me I have 1GB RAM PC and a Internal Graphic Card that shares with my PC and thus slow it down while playing game but a chance Microsoft make a great improvement about Vista Resource Management as when playing windows application are well compress to let the place to the big application mainly 3D ones.

But if Windows 7 will be released on the same kernel than Vista thus it will be better using Vista now for those who can. But that's not sure for all these as we know that Windows 7 will be released on in 2010 and as for many OS Microsoft can postponed it to another year and completely change the kernel. So for being sure about that a 100% better see when it will get out on the market.

Yup, i agree. I bought my first vista pc last october and vista had already been out for a year i believe, so i did not buy it right away because i couldn't. However i used vista before on my XP based laptop and it ran ok but no where near as great as my desktop runs it. And your right you never know what Microsoft can change by 2010. Might not be anything like Vista by then...never know for sure until its commerically available.

Hey, I'll tell you what- if Microsoft can't do any better with $300 million to advertise than the trash that's coming out now, they won't get an new users!

All things considered XP still seems like the better OS, at least to me.
I'm thinking that even after M$ stops supporting it, security "patches" will probably be available in improved browsers and security software. At least I hope so.

As long as M$ simply doesn't shut it off, I'm gonna stand pat, as they say in Blackjack.

Meh, Windows 7, more hardware intensive than even Vista, and still more DRM.

I'd answer the poll but IMHO, there aren't enough choices.

I'm still running Windows 2000 on a low power PC I built as a server (Via C7). It works fine. The only thing I do on my Vista machine that I can't do on it is game, and thats because I intentionally used extremely low power hardware.

People say Vista is slower than XP, and all the features Vista gives you over XP can be done in XP with software addons. That is probably true. Its also true of Windows 2000, everything you can do in XP can be done on 2000 with addons. AND 2000 with SP4 is probably faster than XP. So maybe you guys should run 2000.

I think even Newegg is out of stock on Windows 2000.

Edit; people are apparently still selling it, but they still think a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back