Windows users... will you upgrade to Windows 8?

Well, I always upgrade my soft wares the moment that a new version is released, BUT upgrading Windows IMMEDIATELY?

I think not. That's because if you can still do all your tasks properly and efficiently on your version of Windows, why consider upgrading? Aren't we all after usability?

My point is, if your PC (Windows OS) is capable enough to cope with your needs, don't replace it, because it'll take time before one can familiarize his self with new comers.(that is, Windows 8) ;)

Will you upgrade yours?
No

I for one don't consider it a downgrade or an upgrade. There is too big a learning curve and lots of software titles that need to be created before it can be considered an upgrade. I wouldn't consider it a downgrade either because there is need in having Windows 8 once it fully develops to meet everyones needs. I am happy with Windows 7 and don't yet understand why some elements have been removed or radically changed in Windows 8.

No.
1. Let them start ironing the bugs out first.
2. Maybe my NEXT computer. I just did a build and loaded Win7, got a laptop with win7 about 6 mos ago, have had a netbook with win7 for about a year. Other than that I had stayed on the xp platform. So... I tend to be trailing edge, rather than "Bleeding" edge...
3. Not yet ready for another learning curve, thank you.
4. Don't have the touch screen monitor to make use of those bells and whistles.
5. Anything I should really want with win8 that I don't have with win7?
6. What the tech??? (If as cliffordcooley says, they have removed some stuff...)

This should have been a polling topic.

As for me - - - only when there's a snowball fight in H***

No chance of switching (I don't like the term upgrading for this process!) to Windows 8 yet - I still need convincing that it isn't just Windows 7 with a new paintjob.

Multi-monitor support is improved e.g. native per display backgrounds, per display taskbars. The kernel is also made more secure and is less vulnerable to exploitation. I won't change straight away - the UI will take a bit of getting used to. Might run it on a VM for a bit.

There is a lot more but haven't had the chance to dig and find out.

I know there's some pretty good enhancements behind-the-scenes, but I still haven't seen any real world results testing.

Nope, I'm happy with my current win7.

But, if I buy new ultrabook or surface with win8 bundled with it then I'll use it :D

I don't think I will, and this will be the first MS OS release that I won't be an early adopter on. I bought a Win 95 PC for college in mid 1998 and used Win 95 on it for a day or two before upgrading to 98. Then I upgraded to ME (hey, I never had any probs with it). XP, Vista, 7 all as they came out. I ran 8 CP and was fine with it, but I was using it on a secondary machine. I've since moved into a place (hopefully temporarily) where I can really only run 1 PC and a laptop. My main PC has years of installed programs on it and I just don't feel like dealing with putting 8 on, especially since I'd want to do it as a clean install. Now, god forbid I have a sudden HD failure, but if I did, then I might get 8. But I'll wait until I'm more financially and residentially stable before I switch.

I am running a preview of Windows 8. But I am thinking of going back to 7. They are pretty much the same thing, in my opinion. The only difference is that 8 is built for touchscreens. Which is where it has failed. Don't know what they were thinking of, but how many desktop owners have a touchscreen. The only thing that is stopping me from doing it now is that Windows 8 has a built in option from booting from UFI, which is good for me since I am using a 3TB drive. There are many other reasons. Mainly interface issues.

The only difference is that 8 is built for touchscreens. Which is where it has failed.
The failure of Microsoft to provide a click and hold + drag (like you'd do with your finger on a touchscreen) is the thing that has bothered me the most about Windows 8 (seriously). How can they not incorporate some 'mouse gestures' to make the mouse act like your finger for the OS?

Maybe they have fixed it by now? I only used the CP.

You can do that now, sngx. However there is another issue with the mouse. I noticed that from time to time I have to click two-three times on the mouse to get a result. Can be frustrating in games.
What baffles me most is, where are the close app buttons. So far the only way I can close a Metro app is by either switching to another app and then moving mouse to the right of the screen, right clicking on the app I want to close and, finally, clicking close. I haven't found any other way.
One interesting thing I did find is if you move your mouse to open start interface (lower left corner) and right click a nice menu pops with some admin options.

Glad to hear they did address that dragging thing, at least then you don't really need to have a touch screen if you can pretend your pointer is like your finger. I got used to using the mouse and wrist movements to do things years ago with Opera and mouse gestures. Although most of what you needed a gesture for then you can do on a modern mouse (more than 2 button mice), but in the olden days we didn't have back buttons or sometimes even scroll wheels).

I remember there was a way to close apps in the CP (I don't have that comp with me now to check) but I remember it wasn't something easy or intuitive, so you are absolutely right there, unless we are both missing something.

I did know about that right click menu in the left corner. But I went ahead early on and pinned stuff like admin tools to the regular bar and I created a restart and shutdown icon on the desktop. I didn't spend much time in Metro outside of just to play with the apps to see what they could do (which was very little during the CP).

I was always a supporter of Microsoft and Windows, but this one baffles me. If they wanted to make OS for touchscreens (ie tablets and smart phones) why not promote it as such. Why pretend that it is good for desktops.
I am sure over time we will get used to it and there are going to be hacks created to disable metro. But I suspect that an average user will always have issues using it, unless they get a touchscreen.
Windows 7 works just fine on desktops. I am going back to it.

I watched a few videos and they showed closing the apps by dragging them to the bottom of the screen, by clicking and holding the app header.

I love the idea of Windows 8 and with Pokki it is basically a refined Windows 7. But Windows 7 is enough for me now, but I may be able to get my friend to get hold of a legit copy of 8 for me :D. I love Win7s Aero though, but Win 8 looks cool

I love how my gaming desktop runs with Windows 7 and I'd be hard put to go through the trouble of installing a new OS if it does not promise any truly convincing performance gains. So for my main machine -- and probably for the computer I use for recording music -- I'm thinking I won't be using W8, for now.

[FONT=Calibri]I will have to switch to Windows 8 on my laptop, however, as just about every computer at work will be reformatted for it before the year ends. And I already have a copy of 8CP running on my laptop, anyway. [/FONT]

I love how my gaming desktop runs with Windows 7 and I'd be hard put to go through the trouble of installing a new OS if it does not promise any truly convincing performance gains. So for my main machine -- and probably for the computer I use for recording music -- I'm thinking I won't be using W8, for now.

[FONT=Calibri]I will have to switch to Windows 8 on my laptop, however, as just about every computer at work will be reformatted for it before the year ends. And I already have a copy of 8CP running on my laptop, anyway. [/FONT]
it has no advantage in performance, but when engines utilize DX 11.1, then it will see big gains. most games have been compiled and tested on Windows 7, so they have no been optimized for Windows 8. It may be a year at least, but most likely 2 or 3 years before game developers adopt it. DX10 was barely adopted... so that may be the same with DX11.1

Back