Inactive Windows xp have the win32/zbot virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dota

Hello i have the win32/zbot virus, it has got to the point in that i cant connect to the interent and firefox crashes so that i cant open it.

I have a C drive for my windows and another drive for backup files, music and games.

i was wondering if i refotmat my c drive and put a fresh windows on it will i have a chance to be renfected and also can the virus transfer over memory stick?

thank you for any help Dota

so the virus wont come back if i format the drive, and leave the other drive as it is.

Sorry i dont think i explained it right. I have a hard drive for my windows, firefox and a few other programs, i have another that has my steam, games and back up files. if i reformat my hardrive with the windows on it, will i have a chance of getting reinfected from the same virus that might possible be on my steam/games hard drive. or will the virus only infect the one hard drive?

Also if i use a usb memory stick to transfer a file from the computer, will the virus be able to transfer onto the usb stick and then onto another computer.

thanks for any help Dota

I suggest, disconnecting the other drive until you have Windows reinstalled, all updates loaded, firewall being up and AV program installed.
Then, you can reconnect your other drive and scan it with your AV program.
Same goes for USB stick(s).

ok il do that, im out for the next 2 days but i will let you know how it goes as soon as i can, thank you so much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back