Windows xp home sucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wI-OSMAN-

i was talking to my friend on MSN messenger and he says that windows xp home sucks get pro, but i do have pro corp(worried about SP2 final-incase more keys are blocked), is pro better or just install my XP home SP1 OEM legal.. oh ya the reason i'm installing it cause i got effected by the RPC bug :( my computer was on repair and i just got it back today, so i went online to do a windows update, then i go that error

*edit* https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6127 i posted here, but i got a copy of xp home from my brother *edit*

For simple computer users Home is perfectly fine. I would suggest it simply for the price. It is much cheaper than Pro, and just as good IMO

I got a 100% legit copy of WinXP Pro for...$5. Indiana University is based in my town, and the IU bookstore sells all this software there for $5 to IU students (my cousing goes there). But I would recommend Pro if you can find a cheap, legit copy, otherwise go Home (hehe) if that's all ya got.

i recon your fine with any copy of XP, legit or non-legit

In my eyes, home is as good as pro, as you can see on the comparson table mic provided :grinthumb Its security is just a bit better.

wicka_wicka - I'd say your copy of WinXP Pro is not quite 100% legit - as you're not supposed to be using it if YOU'RE not a student there. I work at a university and have to deal with software licensing on a daily basis. I'll give you 90%, maybe ;)

Originally posted by LNCPapa
wicka_wicka - I'd say your copy of WinXP Pro is not quite 100% legit - as you're not supposed to be using it if YOU'RE not a student there. I work at a university and have to deal with software licensing on a daily basis. I'll give you 90%, maybe ;)

If they sell it to him...I'm not sure how it's not 100% legal. If they don't want people who aren't students getting student discounts they should be checking Student/ID cards

They do check, he said his cousin got it for him, but it should still be used by his cousin only, so I will agree it isn't 100%

XP has been fine for me. While I thought at first that it really sucked, it turned out to be my hard drive that kept screwing me over. I sent the thing back to HP and they put in a Toshiba HD instead of the IBM POS they gave me. Stick with XP.

Originally posted by LNCPapa

Dude. That's not even funny it's stupid. I'd go as far as to say that's one of the stupider things I've heard in a long time. Just because my cousin bought it for me doesn't make it NOT legit. Legit to me means that is a legal copy, we got it legally, it comes with a legal and 100% legit CD-KEY, I think that makes it perfectly 100% legit.

BTW, do you think it's right that M$ sells their software for $200? If it costs so damn much in stores, then how do they afford to give it to IU for $5 a copy? If it really cost them anywhere near $200 to make Windows, M$ would be a out a whole lot of money by selling it for $5!

I really don't care if his version is 100% legit or not. Means nothing to me.

I bought the xp home upgrade cd and have been using it since it came out. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't provide a single user approach like win 98 and me does. It has seperate directories for each user under the documents and settings folder. I know it is for security, but I would like it to install only for me and not have a ton of extra directories.

Originally posted by enduser
I really don't care if his version is 100% legit or not. Means nothing to me.

I bought the xp home upgrade cd and have been using it since it came out. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't provide a single user approach like win 98 and me does. It has seperate directories for each user under the documents and settings folder. I know it is for security, but I would like it to install only for me and not have a ton of extra directories.

Damn I hate that, I have installed programs before, switched screen names on it, and not have the program installed on that screen name. We can't even access other people's Shareaza files because it's so separate!

Actually, just cos u bought a copy with a legit cd key doesn't mean that u are legally entitled to use it, my university has an agreement with Norton anti virus, we get free copies, but can only use it while at uni. I haven't read it, but i assume that the EULA has these terms in it somewhere, so when you agree to the conditions, you agree to use it while only at uni. So you may be breaking the EULA by not using it within MS's terms if they have the same sort of deal going. Of course, its very unlikely that you'd get caught, but thats not really the point.

there's only one administrative account, what's the beef.........

The beef is that I want my directories the same way Win 98 and Me had them. I want only 1 My Documents folder right on the root like 98 had it. I also don't want tons of directories that I never use. I'm the only one who uses the computer and don't need all the extra stuff. Some of the reasons why I use XP over a 9x based os is that it has increased stability and newer drivers for newer hardware.

Originally posted by mrslippyfist
Actually, just cos u bought a copy with a legit cd key doesn't mean that u are legally entitled to use it,

You said it Mr.Slippy....right on the head :grinthumb

I believe folder redirection can handle this multiple folder location problem - not sure if you can do it without a DC though, never tried it.

here's the explanation

waaaaaaaa, i want something one way, but, waaaaaaaaaa ........i also want something another way..........really, this is about ..........what i want.........waaaaaaa...............why can't i have it.........waaaaaaaaa......now, there are some intelligent people around here that can assist you in a work around.............but, no one wants to hear you beotch

I'm not sure what you guys are wanting to do, nor why some of you are whining, but Windows XP can be set up with no user accounts, I'm uncertain how to eliminate them once its been installed, but when installing it, you just choose not to set up user accounts. All those folders can be gotten rid of, or directed to a single folder with a minimum of effort.

www.winguides.com
www.tweakxp.com those are good places to start. If you look, you'll probably find what you are wanting to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back