Windows XP pro will not load after restart

By stumpy01
May 10, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is a peculiar problem--When using the restart function (start--turn off computer---restart) windows will not reload---I get the post from the bios (hd is recognized) and can even enter my pwd to continue the reload process----But after entering my pwd---the screen goes blank and stays black----xp will not continue loading.

Now if I power off the pc using the power button---wait 10 seconds and then power on ---presto----xp loads as it should---what could be causing this peculiar problem----PS. using the reset button on the pc while xp is loaded-- forcing a restart yields the same results as in paragraph 1.

system
    DFI lanparty mobo--nf4-ultra (socket 939)
    Athlon 64 3.2 processor
    ATI radeon 800 gto 256 mgb vid card
    2 gig pc3200 400mghz memory modules--in slots 1 and 3(color coded) to use dual channel operation)
    Win XP PRo sp2
    Antec tru power 550 watt psu

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on??
  2. AshXX

AshXX Newcomer, in training

hmm this may be caused on something you have done while using ur os , i suggest trying to boot into safe mode to see what the problem is , By pressing F8 till it comes up with options
  3. stumpy01

stumpy01 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Can get into Safe mode ---so what am i suppossed to look for after getting there?? to help resolve this issue??
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

If Safe Mode works then it may be a driver or program loading when back in Normal mode.
    You could run MSCONFIG (Start-->Run-->msconfig) and select "Selective Startup" and clear the "Load Startup Items" and then confirm if Normal Mode now works.

If Normal mode then works ok, it would be a matter of selecting one startup at a time (whilst using msconfig and restarting after each change) until you find what Driver or Program is causing it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.