Windows XP SP3 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEALTH429

hello everyone. good day! just recently updated with the latest SP3 from microsoft. its already available.go and get your share. regards.

No It Isn't

NO it isn't

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is expected to be released to manufacturing on April 21 and to the general public eight days later on April 29 through Microsoft's Windows Update service
Source: http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Windows_XP_SP3_Pegged_for_Apr_21_Release/551-88564-580.html

Do not post this, it gets everyone upset, searching around

The only version presently released version is Xp SP3 RC2 (which I would NOT RECOMMEND to download)

Anyone who has this version installed, is advised to remove it, before the end of April (if not sooner)

Kimsland, My apology! Youre right its XP SP3 RC2. Will there be any consequences if i dont uninstall it prior to the official release of SP3? thanks for the guidance.

Users who presently have XP SP3 RC2 installed

Versions include:

build 5508 (Release Candidate 2 Refresh)
build v.5503 (leaked test version for private beta testers)
build 3311 (Release Candidate 2)

Microsoft can’t verify the integrity of the beta RC 2 Service packs
ie Anything is possible, including hidden files and malware

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

Read here for new functionality included in this service pack

source: Microsoft
Windows XP SP3 is a rollup that includes all previously released updates for Windows XP, including security updates, out-of-band releases, and hotfixes. It contains a small number of new updates, but should not significantly change the Windows XP experience.

Uninstall information for the Windows XP SP3 Release Candidate
To uninstall Windows XP SP3, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click Change or Remove Programs.
3. Click Windows XP Service Pack 3 (936929), and then click Remove.
4. Restart the computer.

Further info:
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) forum

One has to wonder why many users think "new is better". This is not true when it comes to Windows Updates. "Unless" it is a critical security patch for a vulnerability just identified, most would do well to delay getting the update and then when doing so, use Custom Install to decide which to get.

And no one should get beta versions unless they are a beta tester.

STEALTH429 said:
Will there be any consequences if i dont uninstall it prior to the official release of SP3? thanks for the guidance.

You likely won't be able to install the official without first removing the RC you have. This was how it was with Vista SP1, if you got an RC it had to be removed before the official would install.

Pass on the SP3 all version until software applications companies get on ball with it otherwise their are a lot of issues with it. Stick with SP2 for now..

Dated 4/21/2008:
Windows XP Service Pack 3 has hit Release to Manufacturing (RTM) milestone. In other words, it is only available to OEMs. Customers with Microsoft Volume Licensing, Microsoft Connect beta testers, as well as MSDN and TechNet subscribers have not yet received the final build.

What does SP3 do:
The service pack includes all security updates, out-of-band releases, and hotfixes released since Windows XP SP2 hit Microsoft's servers back in August 2004.

SP3 will bring some Vista features to XP users, including Network Access Protection, "Black Hole" Router Detection, the Microsoft Kernel Cryptographic Module, and the ability to install XP without entering a product key. Windows Internet Explorer 7 must still be downloaded and installed separately. There are also reported speed improvements for the six-year-old operating system.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/mic.../windows-xp-service-pack-3-hits-rtm-milestone

Dated 4/21/2008:
Windows XP, Service Pack 3, will be released to Microsoft business customers through their MSDN and TechNet subscriptions sooner than that -- but Microsoft didn't provide a specific timetable.
From Information Week:
http://www.informationweek.com/news...cle.jhtml?articleID=207401283&subSection=News

Dated 4/21/2008:
Microsoft confirmed today that the final version of Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been released to PC manufacturers right on schedule. The update will be available to end users to download next Tuesday, April 29, and pushed to Windows Update in June
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2285971,00.asp

I believe the above covers what is being said and asked.

I replaced service pk 1 and 2, with Windows XP SP3 Release Candidate
and I found that my computer went from slow to fast, I INSTALLED SP3 FIRST, THEN UNINSTALLED 1 AND 2.

Yes but taylor_000, you now must un-install your RC SP3 as the REAL version will be available very soon! via Windows Update (Well June, as stated by Bobbye above) If not sooner (actually I thought only a few days)

I just did an XP Critical update and SP3 wasn't part of whats available.
It might not be for XP.
A search had no results,I'll stick with SP2 for now.
Till i'm told i need SP3.

taylor_000 said:
I replaced service pk 1 and 2, with Windows XP SP3 Release Candidate
and I found that my computer went from slow to fast, I INSTALLED SP3 FIRST, THEN UNINSTALLED 1 AND 2.

What? Now I could be wrong here (I don't think I am though), but each Service Pack already contains the fixes made in the previous ones. Like if you have a straight up install of Windows 2000 SP1, you can go right ahead and install SP4 and be up to date. Once you have SP4 installed there is no uninstalling prior Service Packs. You don't uninstall SP1, SP4 replaces it. I imagine the same goes for XP SP3 (because it did for SP2). So I don't believe that you would need to (or be able to ) uninstall SP1 and SP2 after you install SP3.

Agreed.
But to be clear
XpSP1 minimum required-> then update to XpSP3

Actually, I'm going to install XPSP1 clean, then update InternetExplorer to Ver 7; then install SP3 (when it comes out!)

I'm pretty sure XPSP1 is minimum though.

i just installed the RTM version of SP3 yesterday after reformat my system under RC version of SP3 last month. i can say theres lot of performance difference between RC and RTM version. and the RTM version no longer include v.3108 etc in the system properties. in the RTM version it just says:
Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 3 build 2600 080413-2111
2007 Microsoft Corporation.

anyone tried the RTM version as well? im quite sure its final though.

Rumors.....

Have the activation protocols been relaxed in SP-3?

Does it outperform SP-2?

I don't see why there's such a rush, after all general street dat is April 29, isn't it?

Although I admit I suffer from a societal disconnect. I'd wouldn't be caught dead standing in line at midnight to get a copy of the latest Harry Potter book or a Madden 2009 game.

I found this:

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) provides new proactive security technologies for Windows XP to better defend against viruses, worms, and hackers along with increased manageability and an improved experience for users.
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 fixes a range of bugs in Windows XP. It doesn't matter what XP updates you have previously applied to your system, SP3 will update any unpatched, partially patched or completely updated system (it includes all previously released patches and updates). XP SP3 fixes the security holes so you won't get attacked.

So it appears that after the SP3 download, if there is no overwriting of the earlier SPs, there may be a duplication of updates. I could not find anything that simply said 'yes-or no'- to the overwriting!

Good question, someone must know, probably the answer will be Yes

Also just posting dates again

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/98938/microsoft-finalizes-windows-xp-service-pack-3.html

RTM (release to manufacturing): April 21
OEM channel: April 21
Windows Update (optional update): April 29
Microsoft Download Center: April 29
MSDN/TechNet download: May 2
Windows XP SP3 fulfillment media (CD-based): May 19
Volume license customers download: June 1
Windows Update/Automatic Updates: June 10

The confusion here is that SP3 is for Windows 2000,

Not XP,where i've been.SP2 is the latest for XP.
I have all the latest XP home updates.

No, there is also an SP3 for Office also. There IS an SP3 for Windows XP, but Final Release isn't out yet. Should be any day. I don't know why so many are clamoring to get it! An SP needs to be out for a bit to mellow! No way would you catch me getting it right off!

No No then

Bobbye said:
No, there is also an SP3 for Office also. There IS an SP3 for Windows XP, but Final Release isn't out yet. Should be any day. I don't know why so many are clamoring to get it! An SP needs to be out for a bit to mellow! No way would you catch me getting it right off!

I knew of MSOffice.
This forum is Windows OS posts.
When my update has XP SP3 i'll read the benefits and needs first.
I knew i needed SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back