Windows XP SP3 BSOD and rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

paris

hi,
could someone help me to identify the problems that is causing my pc getting bsod when playing games or sometimes just listening to mp3 or browsing the web. btw, i tried using memtest x86 but found no errors.

specs:
athlon II x2 250
msi 785gt -e63
gts 250 green
2x 2gb kingston ddr2 800
hec cougar 550w

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Sir Route44, thanks for the instruction on how to find and post the minidump files.

Attachments

• Minidump.7z
    74.1 KB · Views: 0
I have the same problem and error, but with Vista. Many thanks in advance for your help..

Attachments

• Mini042610-01.dmp
    135.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini042610-02.dmp
    135.6 KB · Views: 4
Hi Michael9. In the future please create your own thread as this belongs to paris and his issues.

Your two errors are 0xC2 and 0xC5 and these are almost always caused by bad drivers.

The drivers cited as causing your issues are mfehidk.sys and the other one that is causing a slew of OS driver modules from loading is mfewfpk.sys. Both are McAfee drivers and we have seen both over the years cause issues but if you have been paying attention to tech news McAfee just recently caused major problems with one of their updates that shut down computers belonging to hospitals, airports etc.

They are supposed to have a an updated fix so try that or uninstall and reinstall McAfee. To be honest, McAfee is very poor for security. Consider another security software.

I've posted the attached files several times but it doesn't appear in the thread.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    117.7 KB · Views: 1
Sir Route44,
Sorry for the inconvenience.

I know that also computers in my school were crashed by McAfee.
I Just Thought I Had Removed McAfee. But now I used McAfee Removal Tool to remove McAfee completely. Many thanks for your help, I have solved the problem.

@Michael9 - No problem. Another reason we want posters to start their own threads is because when you attach your problem to another person's thread we'll think you are answering the original poster without realizing you need help as well. Good work on your part on using McAfee's removal tool. We hope you found a better security solution. Any time you need help please come back.

@Paris - Your issue is with memory corruption. Kingston makes excellent RAM but at times even the best can fail. You'll need to run the free and safe memtest on your memory.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

okay, i'll do as you say, sir route44. a minimum of 7 passes, last time i did was only 1 passes and found no errors. thanks for the again help and suggestions.

okay, i'll do as you say, sir route44. a minimum of 7 passes, last time i did was only 1 passes and found no errors. thanks for the again help and suggestions.

Ifyou can go to 10 Passes do so. If you get no errors there is something else we can try.

sir route44, i've just finish running the memtest 86 version 4.0 with the first ram, wall time is around 4:30 hrs, 8 pass and no errors. but i noticed that the ecc is disabled should i enable the ecc when running memtest? also i want to reformat and reinstall windows xp, my question is...is it ok to just reformat the Drive C install the OS there without reformatting the Drive E (Storage)? will i able to access the files in Drive E (Storage) without using other software like partition magic?

The reason for reformat and reinstall is because the bsod is getting more frequest the past 3 days. just before running the memtest yesterday I got 2 bsod in less than 20 mins. worse,

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    130.4 KB · Views: 2
Four dumps simply cited OS drivers though two are 0xA and hardware is one of the causes of this error code. Another is 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware.

The one that gave a difinitive cause is 0xD1 and these are usually caused by drivers but they can also be caused by faulty or mismatched memory. This dump specifically cited corrupted memory as your issue.

Let's take this from a different angle. Find the voltage specs for your RAM from the manufacturer. Then go into the BIOS and check what the voltage is set at. Is it set in the BIOS as per the manufacture's specs?

okay i'll see what i can do, as u can i'm a noob when it comes to the technical aspects, when i bought this damn pc 4 months ago i had them install/assemble (shop's technician) the pc for me.

okay i'll see what i can do, as u can i'm a noob when it comes to the technical aspects, when i bought this damn pc 4 months ago i had them install/assemble (shop's technician) the pc for me.

Understand totally; every one of us have been where you're at.. It is a nice system minus your issues. Do you have a friend or associate with tech knowledge? Is this system still under warrenty? If so tell them to fix it.

well, usually it's my friend who is setting up my pc but he's currently working abroad, so i don't have anyone to rely on except myself. :(

it's still under warranty, but i have work during the day and if it's just a driver's issue maybe i can fix it by reformatting and reisntalling the os.

btw, in the bios setup->cell menu-> dram voltage is set on auto -> min 1.8v, max 2.7v.

the manufacturer's website states that it requires +1.8v.

DESCRIPTION:
This document describes ValueRAM's 256M x 64-bit 2GB (2048MB) DDR2-800 CL6
SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) memory module. The components on this module include
sixteen 128M x 8-bit DDR2-800 SDRAM in FBGA packages. This 240-pin DIMM uses gold
contact fingers and requires +1.8V. The electrical and mechanical specifications are as
follows:

Good work on your part find that information. I hate to see you have to reformat because if it is indeed a hardware issue a reformat isn't going to help.

Try this: I know this will be tedious taking a lot of time but run Memtest on each stick individually (just have one installed) and run a minimum of 7 times each. It will actually run faster with less memory installed.

sir route44, both mem sticks seems to be error free. i think it's the overheating of cpu due to dust buildup at the heatsink and fan that is causing the bsod. my cpu temps runs at 76-77 degree celcius when i checked the bios reading the other night. since the cleaning of the cpu's heatsink, the cpu temp lowers down to around 50+ degree celcius and the past two days i didn't encounter any bsod.
hopefully, my problem is solved but cpu temp is still rather high, i might get myself a new hsf. thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Aw, yes, dust = heat build up = system crashes. I'm beginning to think that asking if there is any dust build-up becoming a standard question.

Glad the system is stable again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back