Windows XP SP3 - daily BSODs

Jackz

I really need some help, I've posted on many sites and have had no help. I've ran Memtest86, chkdsk and many others. It seems to point to drivers. Examples of the types of Blue Screens I'm getting are: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, BAD_POOL_HEADER, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and many others with no message simply stating a file eg. ntfs.sys. I have attached the analyzed minidumps. If someone could help me that would be great.

Jackz.

Attachments

• minidump1.txt
    23.1 KB · Views: 3
  • minidump2.txt
    21.5 KB · Views: 2
  • minidump3.txt
    20 KB · Views: 1
  • minidump4.txt
    21.8 KB · Views: 2
  • debuglog.txt
    23.1 KB · Views: 3
I had another blue screen today,

STOP:c000021a (Fatal System Error)
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status c
f 0xc0000005
The system has shut down.

If I could get some help, that would be great!
Jackz.

Please! I'm sorry to do this but can someone please help me! I fear that this will eventually run my system into the ground.
Jackz.

I reinstalled my XP and I just got two Blue Screens, one about Symantec and the other about IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. If someone could help me that would be great, is it the computer? I have installed only about 2 things.

Jackz.

You need to post your full system spec, make and model of everything including the power supply.

I don't look at software till I am sure hardware is OK.

Are all hardware firmware, drivers up-to-date, I mean the latest from the manufacturer's web site?

You need to post your full system spec, make and model of everything including the power supply.

I don't look at software till I am sure hardware is OK.

Are all hardware firmware, drivers up-to-date, I mean the latest from the manufacturer's web site?

Yes, everything is up to date. Since I have last posted, I have gotten many other Blue Screens, the latest of which happened to be BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO, there was another one just before that, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. Below is the system specs, I don't want to open the computer yet, so I don't know the make and model of my power supply. It is different to the original computer one. The original one blew up while we were moving the computer and plugging it in.

COMPUTER: IBM (Lenovo) ThinkCentre A52
Hard Drive: WDC WB800J-08LSA0
BIOS Version/Date: LENOVO 2HKT11AUS, 29/03/06
First Installation: 10th August 2010, that's when computer was reinstalled.
Memory: 1 GB
Chipset: Intel i945G/GZ

If there's other things you need, please just ask. If this doesn't help, please tell me what you want specifically.

Jackz.

Could you run Memtest again but this time with one module at a time?
If only 1 X 1GB module, try one socket at a time.

Sure thing. I'll get onto it as soon as possible. I had another two Blue Screens today, one I don't know as I was out of the room but when I came in the computer was restarting. The next was good old, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. As soon as I do it, I'll post what I get.

Jackz.

OK, I ran Memtest again and it found nothing, I also ran PC Doctor and that found nothing. Just as I was about to post this, I got another Blue Screen about BHDvrx86.sys, I have no idea what this could be talking about. I'm running RegCure but I doubt that would find anything, could there perhaps be something that Memtest nor PC Doctor picked up? Help would be great.

Jackz.

OK, you installed XP then did the latest Chipset and all other drivers from IBM; you also did all the Windows updates.
The BSODs happened right after install or after driver installations?

I take it the dumps are from the old installation, but will still look at them (need to get to my other system with the tools installed)

Meanwhile, can you download CPUZ "1.55 32-bit, english" .zip, no installation, unzip, run, go to the last tab (About) save a text file and attach it here please.

The BSODs happened after installation, I installed the drivers later. Yes, the old dumps in my first post are from the first install. If you'd like, I could give you some new dumps. I used CPUZ and have attached the file. I hope this helps, if you need any dumps or such, I will gladly give you them.

Jackz.

Attachments

• COMPUTER.txt
    64.6 KB · Views: 3
What CD did you use? Original from MS, one you made yourself with SP3 integrated or what?

You did do a hard drive test right?

We will have to take a look inside to one of these hours/ days.

Checking the file

I didn't use a CD, XP was already preinstalled on this computer, I learnt about a program that came with the computer called ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery. I used that to restore back to factory settings, I downloaded SP3 from Microsoft. I have done about three hard drive tests today and yesterday, not sure what I should do.

Jackz.

OT: Great signature, I know how true it is.

You need to turn the system OFF, take both memory modules out (ground yourself, touch the power supply or something) make sure they are the same, CPUZ can not read one of them and reports unknown "make" it also reports you are running Single channel rather than dual channel, your system I believe has two DIMM sockets and you have 2 X 512MB modules!!!

Your RAM is also running at 266MHz, would like it to run at 200MHz to match your CPU's FSB of 800MHz.

BIOS reported by CPUZ from 2006, there is a BIOS update dated 2009, thought you said everything was up-to-date?

Let me know about the memory, after you look at them and take notes, swap them to the other sockets and make sure they are seating all the way in, take another CPUZ reading (would much rather do this after BIOS update)

EDIT:

Ahhh ... your model has 4 sockets, did find it rather strange, make sure you place the modules in one channel, you see 2 sockets close to each other then a space and another 2 sockets, you either have to use either pair or put one module in the first socket of first pair and another in the first socket of the the second pair.

Took a look at the motherboard but didn't see any markings on the picture.

Edit 2:

Leave your memory at 266MHz if it is reporting 533MHz. My mistake, you have PC2 4200MHz (DDR2 533MHz) why they would pair that with your CPU FSB at 800MHz, I don't know.

Did the system come with one 512MB module and you added another?

BIOS 2HKT13A, 2006/09/12 newer than yours 2HKT11AUS, 03/29/2006 (2009 was for another type)

Nice big reply LOL. Anyway, I put the sticks into another channel, the first time I did it, I got a POST error code. But, now it seems to be fine. Yes, we did get a new 512MB stick of RAM about 6 weeks after because we simply wanted a 1GB. I will test using CPUZ again and hopefully it will have recognized it. If not, I'm not sure what to do.

Hoping that perhaps this shall solve it,
Jackz.

EDIT: Just had a look, looks as though it still has no make, what should I do?

Attachments

• COMPUTER.txt
    64.6 KB · Views: 3
You still running Single Channel. I'll take a look at the manual and edit this post.

I would remove one of the 512MB and try, then the other alone, need to make sure the problem is there with the original module alone or with the new one alone, if one module is faulty or not compatible, get yourself 2 X 2GB DDR2 667MHz or 2 X 1GB (not that much these days). ... according to Kingston that is the fastest?! I can't see why you can't run DDR2 800MHz, you should still be able to buy DDR2 800MHz and it would run at 667 if your board is picky.

BIOS update and the latest chipset from IBM still should be applied.

Did you not tell me to put the sticks of RAM into one channel? I will remove a stick if I get a Blue Screen, I updated the BIOS just then and am about to update the chipset, I'll give you the new report as soon as I do this.

Jackz.

EDIT: Updated chipset as well, it still looks as though there is no manufacturer name for one of the sticks. Added report from CPU-Z.

Attachments

• COMPUTER.txt
    64.6 KB · Views: 1
ThinkCentre A52 8287DFM

Few different reports on the Web, one says you have 2 sockets with max 4GB some say you have 4 sockets with max 12GB, you need to be able to tell the channels apart; they have letters and numbers as in A1, B1, A2, B2. Some have different colors to help you identify the channels.

I can't say for sure how yours is marked since I can't get a picture with markings on it.

After you test the system with one module to check stability, you can try different combination and check CPUZ till it tells you Dual Channel.

Need to catch a few hours sleep, back later. I will read this over again when I can think :)
One module in each channel.

Edit: Can see the BIOS update, you did load the BIOS defaults, right?
At least both are same speed and timings.
Still like to see if running one modules causes BSOD, I know it is going to be slower with 512.
Then we get in to drivers.

Well, the computer was running fine until up to about 20 minutes ago, I got a BSOD stating, "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M" this was very strange and before the Blue Screen, it said many files were corrupt. The computer shut off after the Blue Screen and then ran CHKDSK, it all seems to be fine now. I read somewhere that this is to do with memory but the site looked a bit seedy. I think I should also mention that most of these Blue Screens happen once the computer gets out of hibernation, could is be that the information stored from the last session is store don the Hard Disk and is then put into memory where the Blue Screen seems to appear? Just taking a stab in the dark here, you're the expert. According to Windbg the Blue Screen was caused by, and I quote, "This is a very common bugcheck. Usually the exception address pinpoints
the driver/function that caused the problem. Always note this address
as well as the link date of the driver/image that contains this address.
Some common problems are exception code 0x80000003. This means a hard
coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but this system was booted
/NODEBUG. This is not supposed to happen as developers should never have
hardcoded breakpoints in retail code, but ...
If this happens, make sure a debugger gets connected, and the
system is booted /DEBUG. This will let us see why this breakpoint is
happening." So perhaps it is not memory in this case but apparently, a driver. Computers are amazing machines, if you know how to use them. What (if anything) should I do and what is the cause of this Blue Screen?

Jackz.

The computer running fine was it just because of the BIOS and chipset driver updates or using a single stick of 512MB?

Did you get the system to report Dual Channel?

If your problems have always been related to hibernation, I would suggest getting at least 2 X 1GB modules if not 2 X 2GB. Most problems you have been posting point to RAM, even if some of them were driver related!

When you leave your system then it hibernates, do you recall what applications are running, do you leave some programs running or do you close all that is not needed?

One bad thing or shame here is the fact that you can only use recovery with many old drivers, then the need to clean them up before updates. Clean install of XP SP3 with latest drivers might be different.

Don't know your budget, but if you are going to buy some RAM, they might sell you an OEM version of Win 7 for cheap (XP Pro will cost the same if they even have it) or maybe you can buy an XP OEM CD to use with your product key, some stores might help you with this or you can search for original XP OEM media only. Kijiji in my area shows a couple.

I think it was simply running fine because of the updates. I haven't yet bothered to get it to report Dual Channel, I shall be looking at some RAM sticks today, what should I look for apart from size? I don't run any programs at hibernation, I would turn off the computer but I hate to wait. Sorry if I understood this incorrectly but do you mean they would sell an OEM Win 7 for a cheaper price if I got the RAM? So many options, I'm not sure what to do. I'll get back to you once I've reached a decision.

Jackz.

Running the memory in dual channel besides the fact that uses a data bus twice wide as single channel also satisfies your motherboards RAM configuration guidelines.

I don't know if you ever did try to run with only one stick of RAM either.

Recommended speed for your RAM is DDR2 533MHz or DDR2 667MHz.
800MHz should clock down but we are talking IBM which I do respect but most their board's design are rather strict.

When you buy components to build a computer, you are entitled to get an "OEM" copy of an OS which is cheaper than a retail copy. What you are required to purchase is different from store to store!

OK, I think I'm going to buy 1 stick of 1 GB, is that all right or should I get more? So, is it okay if it's 800MHz? Buying the stick of RAM from the store we're shopping at does not entitle us to an OEM when getting a stick of RAM. Also, my computer froze today, it was acting strangely for the whole morning. I think that was the first time my computer has frozen in over 4 months or so. Should I just hurry out and get some new RAM?

Jackz.

Before you buy any RAM, can you take one stick of RAM out and run with only 512MB, I know it is slow, but it will prove a few points. Try with one stick for half a day or more then the other (ALONE)

Your motherboard is Dual CHannel capable, you should buy RAM in pairs and ask for exact model.
I hope you are not going to mix the new RAM with your OLD one.

Remember, one stick didn't register in CPUZ, your problems point to memory and at least one with driver but you don't have the component that file affects (this is rather strange) this is why it is very important for you to try one RAM "stick" alone or get your system to go Dual Channel. and see if you still have problems before we do anything else.

Well, what an interesting experiment this was, I tried using one 512MB stick and I got a POST error code, I tried removing the other one and the same happened, I think the system still thinks it has 1GB of RAM and it is trying to allocate the RAM and then finds there is only 512MB. It then comes up with Phoenix 'FirstBIOS' and a loading screen but the computer never starts up. Is there perhaps something else I should or could do?

Jackz.

Back