Windows XP will not load

My computer will not load XP anymore. The computer got accidentially unplugged. It just continues to go into a loop to where you can choose Start,safe mode, safe mode with command prompt and so on. I chosed each one and it still doesnt work, it just cycles through a reboot and sends me back to the list. My computer is a Compaq with XP (rather old) and I have a disk to restore to factory settings. Everything was preinstalled from Compaq

Is there a way I can recover programs and files.

I have an old back-up located on an external hard drive

Is this signs of replacing hard drive?

What can I do at this point?

The hard drive is a Seagate ST340810A (40GB). If I need to replace HDD can I increase capacity. The computer is quite old but I use it to for radio shows and programs that don’t run on Windows 7

Thanks
Joe

First thing to do on another system is go to Seagate's website and find their free harddrive diagnostic utility called SeaTools for Windows.

1. It is an ISO file. Download it to the desktop screen

2. Place blank CD in the DVD drive, double click the ISO icon, and whatever burning program the system has should pop up.

3. Burn SeaTools to the blank CD.

Now in your system...

4. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS).

5. The test will engage seconds after you boot-up.

6. Run the Short DST and especially the Long DST.

* This will take some time, especially the Long DST but well worth it.

How old is this system? What model # is it?

I ran short and long test and log mentioned both test passed. DST completed without error

The system is a compaq presario 5000t(5LOXE1) 10 yrs old with XP Home Edition

Does this mean the HDD is good and something else is hanging system up?

For a harddrive that old and it passed is amazing. Sometimes the cables/ribbons that connect motherboard to harddrive and vice-versa can go bad. Try a new cable.

Here is a tried and true method that many people have done to access their files:

1. Remove the harddrive.

2. Slave it into another system and access your harddrive through said system.

Back