Wireless Home Network Conectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Linksys 54g router, and have established a home wirelsess system.

My wife has a Compaq 2570us with built in wireless modem. I can establish wireless connection, but if I do not maintain an Excellent level the connection will break.

I am lucky if I can move maybe 20-25 ft from my routher before my connection drops to very good or worse.

Compaq says it's because of land line phones, and other interference. And that this is typical.

I say it's worthless to us if that's is true.

Is this a typical experience? If not any suggestions on where I need to adjust my system to acquire solid connectivity at as far as 50-75 feet?

Thanks.:rolleyes:

Try and position the WAP (wireless access point) as much in the middle between the PC locations as you can. Place it higher up (e.g. on a wall-bracket) and try to place it where there are as few obstructions as possible between the 2 locations.

Other equipment that may interfere are DECT wireless phones and microwaves. Unplug these to see if it makes any difference.

try configuring your linksys to wpa encryption wpa is stornger than wep, and set up your 2laptop with it. and configure your wireless router.

Make sure your wireless phones in the house are NOT 2.4ghz phones. We had to rid of all of ours when we got our router because they just ate each others signals alive. Problem is that they are all 5ghz and I plan on upgrading to Wireless-N this winter...

That is the most common issue. Don't check your cell phones though, they play on another wavelength and should be no issue. Another big one is refrigerators. They almost always make a black hole in a Wi-Fi network. You just have to hope what causes the interference is replaceable and not too expensive, because 50-75 ft is an acceptable distance unless theres some nasty weather about.

First, you should not drop a connection when you slide from Excellent to Very Good. I am able to keep my connection all of the way down to Good, most times. So you may want to look into that issue, as well.

I think that the advice that you have been given about moving things around, possibly changing some electronic equipment, is spot on. Note, however, that I have four computers out of seven accessing my router wirelessly across three levels (basement, first floor and second floor and through and around cordless phones, microwaveovens, refrigerators and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back